Nikon D850

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Understood. What is the weight difference between the same housing made for a specific camera?

I have no idea, have to check that, I just read in other reviews about aluminum housings like subal and nauticam and wheight and ergonimics had better reviews than ikelite, I have never used any other brand I own Ikelite right know, have seen a couple of nauticams, and I dont know, maybe I think its a better fit for what Im looking for. Love the subal also but I think for d850 they havent shipped them to stores. New ikelite housings have new ports right or you can use the same ports from 8 year ago? I think they modified them.

No worries about checking weight. The new Ikelites require new ports. I've had them both as mentioned and the new ones are very secure in my opinion.

I'm not a professional underwater photographer, only recently starting to bring a camera underwater. I do know land based photography pretty well though and I own a D750. The iso is so impressive that I can put it on 12600 iso and take a picture in a dark closet and come up with colors and minimal grain. It's mind boggling. I feel like I'm cheating life.
If you want to shoot with no flash the D850 will blow your mind. If you're planning on getting a good flash setup it'll be even better. Good choice.

I'm not a professional underwater photographer, only recently starting to bring a camera underwater. I do know land based photography pretty well though and I own a D750. The iso is so impressive that I can put it on 12600 iso and take a picture in a dark closet and come up with colors and minimal grain. It's mind boggling. I feel like I'm cheating life.
If you want to shoot with no flash the D850 will blow your mind. If you're planning on getting a good flash setup it'll be even better. Good choice.
There is a huge difference though between the darkness that you get on the surface and the darkness / low light that you get underwater.

Above the surface, in darkness or low light, the colours are all still there. They are simply just at extremely low intensities. High ISO, or long shutter speeds will allow you to bring much of the colour back into your image. This is how you can get the orange in a photo of the Milky Way.

Underwater, however, the density of the water actually eliminates the colours of the spectrum starting with red and working its way through the different wavelengths as depth increases. No amount of high ISO will bring back the reds at 50 feet. The only effective way to do this is with the addition of a light source to replace them, whether that source is in the form of strobes or video lights. A red filter can be somewhat effective, but by reducing the level of all colours, it appears to balance the colour but it does so at the expense of 1-2 stops of light.

There are D850 camera and underwater housing reviews on various vendor websites and other forums. I'm not sure about the etiquette of posting those links here. I do know that if you Google "d850 underwater review", you will find many of them on top of the first page of the search results. There are reviews, photos, and tips. I found that the camera and Nauticam housing were already readily available back in December.

Yes I just decided to go for it! And just bought the camera! But now a different type of question, I am now looking into housings and have some quotes for a Nauticam housing for D850, also subal are great but I saw on a review that it went broke or something like that, but sea and sea, or any other brand. Is nauticam the way to go??
Well done! Great camera. About ten percent of the cost of your underwater set up....best to get a housing first in my experience.

I have a new D850. Ive actually had it since March 2nd, but haven’t even opened the boxes the stuff came in yet haha

Anyway, I’ll be using a Nauticam housing. I am a huge fan of their stuff, and I have all the ports and such I’ll need already from the D810 setup I sold recently.

Honestly, it’s not a huge upgrade, for underwater. There are new features I’ll use a lot on land though. Also if the AF truly is as good as my D5, I’ll be very happy.

I have a D5, so I have a good idea already of what it should do, especially in lower light. I probably won’t get to dive with it until fall, but it’ll be worth the wait - Sipadan!

Hi I just bought a Nikon D850 and I need some help with my equipment choices. I currently use with my old DSLR camera an Ikelite housing and strobes, but for this new camera i was looking into Nauticam. I got a full equipment setup with nauticam and just wanted someone to help check if everything is OK or there might be some items that are not that usefull. I have three lenses in mind for underwater use 8-15mm, 16-35mm and 105mm. this is the underwater equipment.

nauticam housing

macro port 87 for 105mm

2 nauticam 200mm ball arm

2 nauticam 70x250 aluminum float arm

zen DP-100 glass dome port for 8-15mm

zen 230mm glass dome for 16-35mm

45 degree viewfinder

2 inon z330 strobes with optical fiber cable (or is sync cords better?)

so is this setup a good choice? do I need both domes? and i need help to figure out how to travel with this (please recommend a case) I use a pelican case now with my Ikelite housing but a lot of friend divers told me that the attract to much attention, that is heavy and that there might be a way to pack everything on a carry on bag.

I really appreciate all of your help in advance, I know how much this things cost and making the best decision is important to get it right from the start.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom