First Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha!
I just finished my AOW + PPB + EANX certifications and have 20 logged dives, and am going to Big Island and Maui for about 12 days. I’m bringing my own gear: 7mm, BCD, regs, etc. and am meeting another forum member to dive with. I’m posting mostly to share my excitement, but also for any recommendations on what to bring and/or dive site recommendations/discussion.

*Do people bring extra or backup gear on land-based trips like this?

Big Island:
Kona: 3 nights. Reserved 2-tank Manta night dive, and 2-tank Advanced/long range dives. Need some time prior to traveling across the island (altitude).

Hilo: 3 nights - I have friends to see there, haven’t planned any diving yet.

Maui:
Lahaina: 3 nights. Plan on 1-2 days shore diving (sunken pier, maybe site behind Sheraton). I also reserved a 2-tank trip to Lana’i through Extended Horizons.

Kihei: 3 nights. Plan on 2-tank Molokini trip with B&B (at least once, maybe twice) and maybe a day shore diving.

Mahalo!!

Don't miss South Maui shore diving either. I liked Wailea Beach off the south point and a friend said Polo is even better. Also the sites down by Makena Landing/5 Caves.

If you need a guide, contact Maui Dreams Dive Co. or Shaka Divers. I believe B&B also guides afternoons - good choice btw...

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

parking is a problem at some of the sites as the nearby resorts just barely allow public access and some of the lots are pretty small. Early is better although we've done ok mid-week around 10am or so when some divers leave.

I;ve seen DNLR agents twice in South Maui checking for dive flags so rent one where you get your tanks.

If "sunken pier' is Mala pier note that the legal entry is the harder one over the rocks to the south. If you go in on the ramp you have to cross an active boat channel and will get you a ticket if someone is there.

Last edited:
Be sure to bring a doctor's certificate if you are taking any prescription medications or have to say 'yes' to any of the medical questions you'll be asked by the dive operator. My wife takes meds for high blood pressure and almost didn't get to dive because she didn't have her medical OK.

On the Hilo side Nautilus Dive quides shore dives and the owner Bill is a wealth of information. Also on the Kona side shore diving in Puako is really good, House 40, House 56, Catholic Church are all good.

Enjoy the trip! Sounds like an awesome amount of diving ahead! Nice to see "newer" divers thinking of all things, such as altitude. Good on ya!

Haven't dived there before, so that is all I have to offer :) Enjoy!

I've dived in several of those locations...you are gonna have a GOOD TIME! [I hope you don't get skunked by the mantas like I did last time, tho']

A 7 mil wetsuit is pretty heavy for tropical waters...are you sure you need it? Most Hawaiian diving is pretty easy...if your gear is in good shape, I doubt you'll have much need for backup. Just don't blow a BCD gasket like I did last time I was there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom