GoPro declining usage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me a while to figure out that my dives were more enjoyable when viewed through my mask instead of the “viewfinder” of a camera. Even when I got good footage, my family were about as interested as I was when I was schlepped to my Uncle Joes as a kid to see his Euro-vacation slides.

That has long been my thinking. But I wanted a camera so I could take clips of marine life for later identification.

Wow. That is incredibly flattering. Thank you very much. But it’s @Soloist that really gets all the credit. I mostly just post his work.

FIXED!

Still take my GoPro 3+ on a floaty handle with me on all my dives. I shoot video in short bursts which makes them easy to download on my computer and then view. From them, I take screen shots of what I want. It works well for family messages, our local scuba email chain or an occasional SB post. Can still enjoy the dive and can always clip it away on a D ring if needed.

Still take my GoPro 3+ on a floaty handle with me on all my dives. I shoot video in short bursts which makes them easy to download on my computer and then view. From them, I take screen shots of what I want. It works well for family messages, our local scuba email chain or an occasional SB post. Can still enjoy the dive and can always clip it away on a D ring if needed.

I just want to note that the Floaty Backdoor that GoPro sells compresses when taken to diving depths. It's designed for snorkeling. The floaty handle @icechip has is different.

I got a GoPro as a gift for Valentine’s Day this year. So far I’ve used it more freediving then scuba diving but that’s probably because I am still getting comfortable in my gear. I use the floating grip and strap it to my wrist. I do want to look into getting a mount for my mask or something though.

Also I’d like to add that I’m the kind of person who will let the camera roll the whole time but only pick it up if there’s something I want to capture for the gf or maybe some stills although even then I usually don’t look at the screen to shoot.

I just want to note that the Floaty Backdoor that GoPro sells compresses when taken to diving depths. It's designed for snorkeling. The floaty handle @icechip has is different.

Yes, mine is different than the GoPro handle.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 6.46.43 AM.png

I do want to look into getting a mount for my mask

This is what I do, Nick. It keeps my hands free but it can get pretty herky-jerky because I look all around, but when I know I am going to try to use certain footage, I make sure to move slowly and keep my head still. It works for me, though sometimes it's still like watching roller coaster video.

I just roll for the entire dive. Any cool stills can be pulled out of the video, anyway. Gotta agree with you there.

Pretty much what I do, too. I'll occasionally leave my GoPro on the dive boat, and inevitably regret not taking it. I'll just record as I go and capture stills from the best parts.

A dive operator who does USS Oriskany trips had the best quote about cameras, and I totally agree. "Cameras make great fish repellant. Just take one on your dive and you won't see a single thing." :) That is sooooo true, at least on many of my dives.

The G15 flooded when the housing gave up after 3 years of Middle East Sun (funnily enough my wifes had the same issue a year later - stretched acrylic doesn't like our climate)
I hear there is a Japanese company that makes them out of silicone, much more life like than acrylic. Not sure how she would handle flooding...

I take my faux-pro on pretty much every dive. I just let it run. If I need both hands, it is on a lanyard. The bulk of the footage is junk, but I am really only looking to make a two or three minute narrative about that particular dive. What I do for white balance if I don’t have a filter on is I use the sample tool to click on a white piece of gear.

Taking and editing video requires thought and time. A lot of people will eat a ton of video and realize they have no clue what to do with it or will realize the moments are in the distant past by the time the camera starts up and is running. So, I can see why a lot of people might give up on it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom