What regs do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started with USD Calypso IV.

Oceanic Omega during the 90's. Lots of rentals in the intervening years.

Now I dive Atomic and Deep 6 mainly but bring out SP Mk5 and 109 occasionally for nostalgia purposes.

Scubapro MK20 with G250 and 200B. I wouldn't mind having a MK25 for ease of adjusting the IP but this set puts out more easy air than I can breathe.

I started out with a bottom-of-the-line Healthways single-hose. I sold it because I was hungry. Never had an issue with it. I got it because it was the cheapest.

About a month or so later I bought a Calypso at a flea market and used it for about 10 years.

In about 1983 I bought a Sherwood Magnum because it has a sealed first stage and is easy to breathe and service. I was not desperate any more and could buy what I wanted. I still dive with it, I think. Since then I have picked up a couple of others and I'm no longer sure which is which, I use the one that is "just a tiny bit better than the other ones." Actually, my girlfriend gets the #1 reg and I use #2. I like the sealed first stage not because I'm going ice diving or anything, I'm just a cheap SOB and want my stuff to last forever. The Sherwoods seem to live up to that.

Somewhere along the line I acquired a Calypso J. The second stage is crappy even though internally it looks just like the other Calypso. I've tuned and tuned and it's simply hard to breathe.

A few years ago I bought a Dacor Pacer Aero for about $10. It breathes great except it flows very slightly when I'm looking down. I can't seem to get it to stop. I have another Pacer Aero second stage and it does the same thing. I have it just in case I have a bunch of divers show up that need regs, and I'll use this one.

The Calypso J is now my 'swimming pool' regulator and has the better Calypso second stage on it. If I was to put it back on it's original first stage I would dive with it, but it would not be my first choice. Right now that first stage has a Sherwood 3100 second stage attached to it. It is a perfectly good regulator. The "J" first stage is just too goofy for me to actually dive with, unless I had to. It's in great shape, it's just goofy.

I recently bought a set of gauges that came with a Sherwood Brut. The gauges were worth what I paid and the Brut is almost like brand new and works great. Once again, if a bunch of divers show up....

I want a double-hose regulator, probably a Royal AquaMaster. Just because I want it. I figure I'd better do it soon because I ain't getting any younger.

If I come across a good deal on one of the many good ScubaPros I'll buy it. I already downloaded the manuals. :wink:

Got two mint, never used (?) G250s, I've updated and serviced. New OEM metal orifices, S-wing poppets, balance chambers, springs, metal adj knobs etc.

Actually been used at least once as I dove them post update/service.

Last edited:
You really can't beat the G-250, every improvement past it has been minor and mostly to simplify and modernize manufacturing IMO,

Nothing breathes significantly better IMO at least in a convention design reg (not counting Poseidon and the Scubapro D series.)

The G-250 hits the sweet spot on the performance to simplicity ratio. Reliable, gives gobs of easy air and breathes well and dry in every position when properly serviced and tuned.

Apeks TX50/DST and ATX40/DS4.

Both sets use the same primary and secondary.

Excellent cold water regs.

Back
Top Bottom