Bali Honeymoon May-June 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JmeD ATX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My fiance and I are getting married in May of 2019 and found Bali in our search for honeymoon destinations. We are thinking of heading out in late May. We were originally considering Thailand but we found out about the rainy season so we have shifted our focus to Bali. I am NAUI Advanced certified and NITROX certified and my fiance is PADI Open Water certified. I have been diving in a few places over the last 12 years or so but her only trip has been to Cozumel where we did a half dozen or so drift dives a few months ago. We were there during a Norte and the water was a bit rough and the diving was just okay. I love to dive, but she can take it or leave it at this point. I'm hoping some really cool things to see will peak her interest a bit more.
We plan to spend at least a couple weeks on our trip, but may consider up to a month or so. Bali seems like a place you can go for awhile without breaking the bank. We are interested in a variety of activities, but I definitely want to get some diving in. Any suggestions would be appreciated regarding what part(s) of the island to look at or even surrounding islands, things not to miss (both diving and not), and Airbnb vs. resorts.

Congrats a year in advance. Diving and non-diving. We've been on Bali before headed to other parts of Indonesia to dive. Many in our group liked staying and diving at Scuba Seraya near the Liberty Wreck. Decent place and easy, wonderful shore diving. There is a post a few weeks ago about Bali diving you can check on. Others on this board know much more about the full range of diving options on and near Bali. As to non-diving, we stayed in Ubud and loved it. Yes, crowded with tourist, but we're early risers and beat everyone to the sites to see. My niece just did her honeymoon at a resort in (just outside of) Ubud and had a fabulous time. For a honeymoon, do one of those nice resorts and maybe move around the island also. Very good restaurants in Ubud. The island has busier, more party locations and quieter spots throughout the island. Komodo, either land based or live-a-board would be a great 5-7 day excursion, but not quite sure your fiancé has enough experience for the currents.
Whatever you pick, you'll have a blast and the diving is much better than Coz...and I love Coz.

Rob

Resorts are the Bali thing...from $16 a night to $1600 with thousands and thousands of hotels to choose from you will find something you like. If I'm in transit I will grab something in the $30 - $40 a night range which will have a pool, aircon, restaurant, airport shuttle range or sometimes if I feel like a bit of quiet after a trip I will head up to Ubud and stay in the blissfully quiet Sankara (it's worth the splurge but books out well in advance) but there are hundreds if not thousands of other choices in Ubud alone.

Kuta is full of drunken Aussies but cheap.

Sanur is full of less drunk Aussies and Europeans and Americans close to the ferry to Lembongan (I'd put that on your dive plan list of possible sites - Nusa Penida has great diving) and has a nicer beach than Kuta. Cute little boutique hotel there is Puri Tempoe de Loe .

Tulumben and Padang Bai are divers meccas - Wreck of the Liberty is a standard Bali dive (good shore dive) - Tulumben Wreck Divers and Liberty Resort are both popular.

Scuba Seraya also worth considering.

If you want to do a full circle of the Island head south to Jimbaryn - I like Abi Bali Villas there. Everyone will say a sunset seafood BBQ on the beach is a Bali must do - I think this was true 20 years ago - now it's very very crowded, chaotic, dirty and you can get incinerated lobster cheaper elsewhere.

Seminyak is another non dive area you and your bride to be may enjoy - hip crowd lots of "must do" restaurants and hotels and apparently a decent nightlife scene.

Sure others will give you lots more to do and great recommendations - congrats on your engagement :)

For building your new diver/wife's interest the Gillis (just a ferry ride away from Bali) offers nice diving for begginers. Loads of Turtles and a few sharks, it has some nice dive sites but isnt known as the best Bali offers, but build her interest and confidence there. Gilli Air is a nice island with good beaches, lots of restaurants and accomadations.
The diving in the Tulamben/ Liberty wreck area is heavy on macro critters so may not interest her as much, I love it there. This area is more of a diving location than a tourist walk on the beach eat at quaint restaurant location.
The diving off Lembongan/ Penida might not be a great choice for her as it can have some ripping currents. Manta Point there can have some great Manta action, and she might like the diving there after she builds some confidence in the Gillis.

Congrats! Bali is an incredible destination. You will be spoiled for choice both above and below the water. You can find reasonably priced accommodation almost everywhere on the island and food is really cheap. Be aware that travel around Bali takes a long time so try to find somewhere central to all the sights and activities to limit drive times. There is so much to do you will be busy regardless of where you stay. I recommend choosing your preferred area - beach or inland - and basing there. If you stay long enough you can do both.

Diving - Tulumben, Padang Bai and Menjangen are easier dive spots with lots to see. Nusa Penida or Tepekong can be really challenging dives depending on current and conditions which may be not what your fiance is looking for if she is lukewarm about diving. You should both have good experience before tackling these sites. If the wind is from the north even Tulumben can be rough though that would be unusual at the time of year you plan to go. Find a local dive operator to work with and they can suggest sites.

Topside - get a travel book as there is so much to see you will want to plan.

When I went to Bali for the first time many years ago it was probably my second trip with my wife after we had just married. First was thailand :) We stayed in Sanur and it was a great choice. Its a little quieter than the madness of Kuta. (Unless thats what you want.) But it is also close to everything and lots of restaurant and shops around. And the beaches are nice. And youve got lots of day time sightseeing you can do from Sanur. The outer islands are where I go now- Gili, Lembongan etc but thats because ive done the sightseeing on the main island and I just come to dive now. There really isnt anything else to do on the smaller islands. If you wanted a change of scenery you could stay interior for a few days- Ubud.

If you do go to Tulamben for a portion of your honeymoon check out Villa Markisa, it is right next door to Scuba Seraya. I highly recommend Scuba Seraya (been 3 times and you can search for my trip reports) but Villa Markissa is definitely a notch or two above in terms of luxury, perfect for a honeymoon.

Ubud is a must! Book in to a nice villa/ resort and get pampered for a few days, and see the sights and sounds in the area.

A nice 5 star resort on Sanur is not a bad idea too...but you wouldn't be doing any diving from there as it is quite a drive to any decent dive site.

Candidasa or Amed could be two other possibilities where you can relax and dive.

Enjoy the planning!

We've been happily living here and diving in Bali and in Raja Ampat most of two years and it's great.

May is good. April or March is even better. The closer you get to June - August the more other tourists there will be and things get extremely crowded and traffic very slow and chaotic - though it depends where you are. Watch out also for the Aussie school holidays.

As far as accommodations, remember Bill's rule #1: everything looks GREAT on the internet!

- Bill

We've been happily living here and diving in Bali and in Raja Ampat most of two years and it's great.

- Bill
Without trying to hijack this thread, bill, I'm planning on RA end of July/Aug and am thinking about staying in one of the homestays and doing land based diving. Any recommendations? Which islands would you say to stay on for access to diverse diving. And same for Komodo if you know. cheers

Without trying to hijack this thread, bill, I'm planning on RA end of July/Aug and am thinking about staying in one of the homestays and doing land based diving. Any recommendations? Which islands would you say to stay on for access to diverse diving. And same for Komodo if you know. cheers

Don't know anything about homestays, but being the wuss that I am, I would be concerned about getting good quality air. Maybe it's a non-issue. Others on this board have used homestays.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom