Stupid question - practicing scuba frog kick alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My question is a bit dumb... In order to improve frog kick skills I would like to practice alone in the pool. In our association it's not allowed to use scuba equipment in the pool unless there are instructors, it's not allowed to do apnea training without instructors, etc. etc. This is fine, it's for safety. But I would like to spend some hours every week on this skill until I feel more confident
So I would like to go to the pool with scuba fins and practice the scuba frog kick
The point is there is nobody there to correct me if I make mistakes
Do you think it's a good idea or it is more harm than good since I could learn and repeat wrong movements?

Why is your question stupid?

Set up a video camera and review it afterwards.

My question is a bit dumb... In order to improve frog kick skills I would like to practice alone in the pool. In our association it's not allowed to use scuba equipment in the pool unless there are instructors, it's not allowed to do apnea training without instructors, etc. etc. This is fine, it's for safety. But I would like to spend some hours every week on this skill until I feel more confident
So I would like to go to the pool with scuba fins and practice the scuba frog kick
The point is there is nobody there to correct me if I make mistakes
Do you think it's a good idea or it is more harm than good since I could learn and repeat wrong movements?

Get an hour of instruction to start and another hour with someone a few weeks later, preferably with someone who will film your technique for you. It does not need to be an instructor if you have a skilled buddy in your circle of friends. Many divers who are not instructors are expert frog kickers.

The main thing you have to learn can be broken down into a few steps, the most important of which is to ensure that you're pushing the water with the bottom of the fin and not the top of the fin. I've seen some videos recently of divers pushing with the top of the fin, which says to me that they probably TRIED to emulate what they saw on youtube but got it wrong.

Getting someone to run you through the basics and then check it after a couple of weeks will help you avoid learning the technique wrong and then having to unlearn that again later.

Good luck.

R..

You should be able to do it floating on your back with your body flat from head to knees with your head flat and staring at the ceiling, (not trying to look at your legs). Imagine an upside-down frog kick. Use fins, if they'll let you.

Last edited:
If "association" means a condo or homeowners association, most of them also ban "fins" or "flippers" in their pools. Sometimes they ban "flippers" and of course divers use "fins". But I'd try asking if there are local programs. YMCA or Red Cross or local scuba club? Either to get a formal instructor or at least an informal one, to get the stroke down right from the start.

I never learned a frog kick, whether that's because it is "new" compared to me or whatever. One of these days I'll have to look into that. I was happy enough when I finally learned to porpoise relatively well. It's awkward and can burn a lot of air, but it really covers ground fast, with or without gear on.

I never learned a frog kick, whether that's because it is "new" compared to me or whatever. One of these days I'll have to look into that..

Its the obverse of the back kick, or the inverse....depending on which way you look at it.

Last edited:
Yes, float on your back to do the kick correctly without actually diving. No mask or snorkel needed either. You are trying to clap the bottoms of your feet together and should feel pressure on the bottoms of your toe tips if you're doing it correctly.

Awesome I can just jump in the pool tomorrow

FWIW: I've been lap swimming for a couple of years, but have had shoulder problems so am giving it a rest. I scrounged up a pair of lap swim fins and have been doing a paddle board workout the last couple of weeks---alternating 50 yards of flutter, frog, and dolphin kick, with the fins on, for a mile.

Small fins like this are common at the public pool. I'm not sure what they'd say if I brought my dive fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom