Thailand in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stcline

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a 20 day trip to Thailand booked in June. I understand this is hurricane season but this was the only time of year I could make it work. I am planning to see a couple different parts of the country after recovering from jet lag in Bangkok: one part in the North near Chiang Mai and another in the South.

Having said that I am looking for diving recommendations. I will be in the Phuket area for about a week.

There is no hurricane season in Thailand, so you're good there.

Also, you're coming to Phuket, excellent as well, even in June you'll find the best diving in Thailand on the Andaman side, with Phuket having the most opportunities: Racha islands, King Cruiser-Shark Point area and Phi Phi islands.

I'd be happy to help you of course.

Recent dives, a few days ago.
Three wrecks available in Phuket area. All worth doing. King Cruiser biggest and still the best in my opinion. Plenty of penetrations and fish to see.
Shark point, just a add on to fill the day. No sharks there for years. Good but not great. Racha Noi, racha yoi worth doing. The marine park can be good, and your going the right time otherwise way to over crowded.
Careful if booking in advance. A few trips will be canceled due to not enough people. Some companies don’t like giving refunds. Can often check the night before , before commuting to the purchase.
PM if you have any questions relating to the sites of late.
Cheers have fun.

Thank you for the recommendations of sites. We would like to spend over a week in the South. We would like to stay in two places, one on Andaman side and one on Gulf of Thailand side. Would also consider staying on Phi Phi and like to be in a place with dock and dive company on site for at least one part. Any hotel recommendations or places to avoid?

Thank you for the recommendations of sites. We would like to spend over a week in the South. We would like to stay in two places, one on Andaman side and one on Gulf of Thailand side. Would also consider staying on Phi Phi and like to be in a place with dock and dive company on site for at least one part. Any hotel recommendations or places to avoid?
On Phuket you will not find any dock on site. A few dive companies will be, but all others will collect from your hotel as well, there really is no point in 'on site' here.

Does anyone have recommendations on the Gulf side? From what I am reading it sounds like Koh Tao is the place to dive from but would it be possible to stay in Koh Samui and dive good (or even the same sites) from that island? I think we will split our time in the south between Phuket and somewhere in the Gulf. It looks like it is much easier to travel to Koh Samui from the Phuket side and we may just fly there directly instead of the bus/ferry option which takes all day.

Koh Tao is well known for diving, but mainly for cheap open water courses. The quality of diving reflects that.

However, staying there, yes, Koh Tao would be the best place to go, so from Samui you'd be doing trips to Koh Tao divesites. Long time ago I was diving from Samui, so sorry, can't help you with specific recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom