NAD Lembeh Resort Trip Report March '18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've heard of the legendary muck diving of Lembeh Strait for a long time and so I finally took the plunge...and I'm so glad I did!

NAD Lembeh Resort:
As soon as I stepped through the departure lounge, my driver was there, sign in hand and drove me down to the dock in Bitung. A quick speedboat ride and I was greeted with smiles and a cool face cloth by a friendly face who already knew my name. This was sign of the level of service I was about to receive at NAD. I was recommended 3 places by fellow divers on here and I choose NAD due to price, altho the 3 were all pretty close. When I arrived I found there was a jacuzzi right in front of my room with a view of the sea...can't ask for better than that! My room was spacious, a very comfy & clean bed (two beds actually), fan/aircon, a very powerful and hot shower & drinking water/free snacks provided...everything i needed.

There's a separate and large room devoted to cameras which was great. The main eating area (with sea view) was spacious and clean, every meal was lovely, sometimes there was breakfast with option requests like sausages, eggs & bacon! The staff and owner Zee also eat there so I had many interesting chats with them about the area, diving & other travels which was nice as i was a solo traveler.

As soon as i arrived, the service was excellent. I told them my previous hotel couldn't do my laundry at midday (only a few items) to be ready for next day and so NAD took it and had it done by the morning. They leave a basket outside your room for your diving gear and as soon as you fill it they take it to the boat and you never need to carry or clean a single item. Nothing was too much trouble, every member of staff was professional, friendly and greeted me by name every day. NAD Resort gave me 5* service every day and it was just perfect staying there! Thank you so much!

The Diving:
Oh..My...God! I've never been diving to any place where I've seen so many incredible creatures on every single dive that blew my mind. The diversity is amazing. I came with a wish list of about 10-12 creatures...the top one being blue ring octopus and I saw that on the 3rd dive on the first day. I showed my list to Zee the owner, and she immediately listed what dives sites were best to see them and what the likelihood of seeing them was (based on season)...which is exactly the response you hope for. I ticked off everything on my list (never had that before) plus i saw so many things i didn't even know existed. The guides are excellent, tell them what you're after and they'll do their best to find it.

Critters Seen:
Blue Ringed Octopus, Wonderpus, Longlegged Octopus, Cuttlefish, Pygmy Cuttlefish, Flamboyant Cuttlefish, Cockatoo Waspfish, Banggai Cardinalfish, Devil Scorpionfish, Hairy Forgfish, Wart Frogfish, Harlequin Shrimp, Mantis Shrimp, Juvenile Barramundi, Blue Ribbon Eel (Male, Female & Juvenile), many Nudis and even an Octopus iprotecting its eggs inside a glass jar on a night dive!

Conclusion:
NAD resort is the best resort I've ever stayed in (I've dived for 15 years all over Asia/Indo/Pacific) as the staff's attitude and service were impeccable and professional. The diving was nothing short of spectacular and i wished I could have stayed more than 5 days. The facilities, accom and food was fantastic. I cannot recommend NAD enough. See pics for Wows!!

Thank you Zee, and Sonja who was the one I emailed and worked out a great package and price for me, and all the guides and staff. I wish i was still there!

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6025.jpg
    IMG_6025.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6054.jpg
    IMG_6054.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6376.jpg
    IMG_6376.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6415.jpg
    IMG_6415.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6440.jpg
    IMG_6440.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6470.jpg
    IMG_6470.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_6559.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 134
I loved it there as well. Sonja was really fun to chat with at meals. She has a lot of good stories. I didn’t get to meet Zee and her husband as they were out of the country. I really liked that everything was so close together. It felt like being at someone’s home! It was very comfortable. I’m glad you had a great time!

OP31--I bet when you do go back (because you will!) the staff will be pretty much the same engaged folks as when you left. You hit on the main reason NAD is so standout; the owners live there. And they treat their staff like family.

Every time I go back there are improvements but the vibe remains the same. Zee and Simon are a great example of how to do a dive resort right (especially for photographers!) and Sonja has been an incredibly good fit for the operation. (Not quite as sardonic as Serge was but few folks are! :eyebrow: ) Throw in some of the best dive guides in the straits and it's hard to match NAD's advantage.

Nice shots, obviously another muck convert! // ww

Thanks for the comments, sorry for the delay, seems i wasn't getting any notifications. Really was such a harmonious place and you could tell that it was more like a family than a business, all the staff seemed very happy and enjoyed being there as much as the guests. Such a well run resort and the diving impressed every single dive...a diver's paradise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom