GoPro declining usage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bought some GoPro stock a few years back when the company was still relevant, then watched the value of my investment slowly slide into the abyss as new product development missteps and rising (Chinese) competition occurred.Still using my Hero 4 for those sharky videoclips tho,...

Last edited:
The thing is, it takes a significant amount of effort in post-production.... Folks bought in to the gourgeous footage in the ads, but lost interest with the work it takes, or the crappy results they got, and so it went on the shelf/in the bin with every other Gizmo. I don't get or expect National Geographic caliber stuff, and a frame grab makes for good wallpaper on my office pc. Sometimes I get lucky and have a picture worth printing in modest scale, but that is rare.

YMMV

My LDS used to carry a full range of GP cameras and accessories then gradually it fizzled out to none.

I'll stick with my trusty Hero 3+, even though it might feel like I'm using a VCR, an Apple IIe or dial-up.

I still use mine for short 30 second clips of cool things I see. I have no interest in editing an hour plus of video.

I use the GoPro because it’s compact. I have it on a small handle and clip it off like a backup light on my right chest dring. Sometimes I use it...sometimes I don’t. I’ve never been a photo/video whore though...id rather use memory to document the things I see.

It is nice though to have some video to show my family though... since my wife won’t dive and my kids are waaayyy to young.

I still use mine for short 30 second clips of cool things I see. I have no interest in editing an hour plus of video.

I use the GoPro because it’s compact. I have it on a small handle and clip it off like a backup light on my right chest dring. Sometimes I use it...sometimes I don’t. I’ve never been a photo/video whore though...id rather use memory to document the things I see.

It is nice though to have some video to show my family though... since my wife won’t dive and my kids are waaayyy to young.

Yes, that!

Plus the fact that I use my GoPro to sometimes record game night with my friends. I'll set up a couple of cameras around the table and just let 'em run when we play a board game. I'll edit it for the best parts and use it in my blog.

Yes, that!

Plus the fact that I use my GoPro to sometimes record game night with my friends. I'll set up a couple of cameras around the table and just let 'em run when we play a board game. I'll edit it for the best parts and use it in my blog.

What kinda game nights are you having...damn...

I know, I know, I'm a total nerd when it comes to stuff like that. We play everything from Pandemic to Dead of Winter to Flash Point. Most of us forget the cameras are rolling and we all have a great time. Those links will take you to blogs I wrote of those games. Ironically, I used only stills for those blogs, but want to expand on the video part of it as well.

<nerd mode off>

C1B5B298-582F-44D6-8654-DF20F26BD3E4.jpeg

im not savvy enough with SB media to zoom in, but if you look close you will see a gopro boltsnapped onto my right D ring. the picture was taken with my wifes gopro. We still use them because they clip on out of the way and are great for the occassional chance to get anawesome pic. i also like using it to get pics for my students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom