Going to be in California for a few days this summer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and kids are doing a cross country trip this summer and I will be meeting them for two weeks out by the west coast. We will be staying at Westside regional park for two days and at Ancient redwoods Rv park for two days. I would love to get a couple of dives in one day while I'm there as the opportunity will probably not present itself again for many years. Monterey bay is a 112 mile drive from the first campground we are staying at and is definitely a bucket list dive for this right coaster. Not sure timewise what that 112 mile drive would take around there, around here it would be about two hours not bad for a day trip. Or are there any good dive spots closer to where we are staying? Also any info on good dive ops that I could rent tanks from and also possibly hire a dive guide to show me the ropes concerning diving over there.

Hey Andy,

San Carlos Beach aka Breakwater is showing to be a 3 hour plus drive from that campground according to google maps. To bad you couldn't have the RV in Monterey for a couple of days there is a lot for everyone to see and do. Lots of good diving here hope you make it.

- Gary

it could be a 2 hr. ride to Monterey but more likely 3+ hrs.

Google Maps lists it at 2h54min but that may be right now - 11pim. A lot of people commute into SFO since no one can afford to live there.
Traffic is really going to suck going into San Francisco all the way south past San Jose - in fact the freeway there could be a parking lot any given morning - I spent a lot of time in Silicon Valley.

i believe Ancient Redwoods is too far inland but Westside Park is near Bodega Bay - been to the Bay a couple times.

About 20mins up the coast - slightly north of Jenner, CA are 3 sites near Fort Ross - here's one - Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Fort Ross Reef Campground of California North. I believe that's Hwy 1 so that could take twice as long due to the motorhome procession - and it could be 2 lanes.

This may be the only shop in the area -
Sonoma Coast Divers, scuba diving, freediving, sonoma county
Sonoma Coast Divers, scuba diving,- dive sites
about 30 mins inland from Weside.in Rohnert Park.

hth,
I have not dove there but am familiar with the area.

Last edited:
If you come down, stay away from Breakwater cove during the weekends. Its the gathering point for beginner dive courses throughout the bay area. Not abnormal to see 250 people there on the grass both saturday and sunday.
If you do come down, check out the Meridian Fields of breakwater. Head south a little to Point Lobos and the kelp forests of cannery row are pretty spectacular. If you can catch the forests on a good vis day, very good dive. Otters playing and seals checking you out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom