Update me on the battery rules!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

United changed their rules sometime in the last year. Now they only allow two spare lithium batteries per device; they must be in carry on and none are allowed in checked baggage. I followed the rules and had my spare video batteries in my carry on when I left Cozumel a few weeks ago, and I had no trouble in the security line. I don't know that it made any difference, but I had the batteries in a transparent baggie with black electrical tape over the contacts.

Here's my experience from three weeks ago in Cozumel (April 2018). Flying to Cozumel from the states--all batteries in carry-on. On leaving from Cozumel as I was waiting in line to check in with United I was approached by security (I think anyway) with a placard listing what can and can't be in carry-ons and checked baggage. NO batteries in carry-ons. Must be in checked bags. Reached into my carry-on pulled out my two baggies of batteries and slipped them into a side pocket of my checked bag--no biggie. Went through security and was pulled aside after my bag went through the scanner and they started looking through my bag. I asked them what they were looking for and they said they thought they saw some tools. Indeed you did--I had two small open end wrenches I use to change hoses or regs if needed--they took them as they are deadly weapons I guess. Once I arrived in Houston and picked up my bags before my ongoing flight I pulled the batteries out of my checked bag and put them in my carry-on again and went my merry way.

We just came back from Belize and flew the same way we have flown to Mexico numerous times a year. We usually bag drag into Cancun. Dive lights, emergency strobes, and marker lights with batteries charged and working in my carry on. Never a problem (yet).

2 small (cr2?) Back up lithium computer batteries in their original package and in a zip lock bag in checked baggage.

We usually connect through Houston or Dallas. Have not had a problem (yet)

Safe travels,
Jay

A few months ago leaving Mexico they confiscated the NiMH battery pack that was inside my can light in my carry on bag. They didn't touch any of the Lithium batteries in my video lights. Talked to a supervisor and their boss, they all said no batteries of any type that are removable are allowed in carry on.

A few months ago leaving Mexico they confiscated the NiMH battery pack that was inside my can light in my carry on bag. They didn't touch any of the Lithium batteries in my video lights. Talked to a supervisor and their boss, they all said no batteries of any type that are removable are allowed in carry on.
So they opened up a light and took out the removable NiMH battery because no removable batteries of any type are allowed, but they didn't open up and remove the Li batteries from your video lights?

It sounds like the rules are "There are no rules!"

But the FAA doesn't control Mexico's laws. They are the ones that are saying batteries can't be carried on.
The Mexican officials won’t be on board with you if there is a lithium battery fire in the bin of the aircraft.

That said, I do intend to run this up the flagpole at headquarters. I’ll see what they say.

The Mexican officials won’t be on board with you if there is a lithium battery fire in the bin of the aircraft.

That said, I do intend to run this up the flagpole at headquarters. I’ll see what they say.
Well right... But if Mexico says not in cargo and airline says not in carry on, the end result is you just can't take them on a plane at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom