Update me on the battery rules!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my experience from three weeks ago in Cozumel (April 2018). Flying to Cozumel from the states--all batteries in carry-on. On leaving from Cozumel as I was waiting in line to check in with United I was approached by security (I think anyway) with a placard listing what can and can't be in carry-ons and checked baggage. NO batteries in carry-ons. Must be in checked bags. Reached into my carry-on pulled out my two baggies of batteries and slipped them into a side pocket of my checked bag--no biggie. Went through security and was pulled aside after my bag went through the scanner and they started looking through my bag. I asked them what they were looking for and they said they thought they saw some tools. Indeed you did--I had two small open end wrenches I use to change hoses or regs if needed--they took them as they are deadly weapons I guess. Once I arrived in Houston and picked up my bags before my ongoing flight I pulled the batteries out of my checked bag and put them in my carry-on again and went my merry way.
My experience was very different. When I checked in the attendant asked me if I had Li batteries in my checked bags. I told her yes, I thought that's how it had to be leaving Mexico. She told me that United's rule was that they had to be in carry on and that they knew this at the security scanner. I took the batteries out of my checked bag and put them into carry on, and I went though the scanner with no problems.

My experience was very different. When I checked in the attendant asked me if I had Li batteries in my checked bags. I told her yes, I thought that's how it had to be leaving Mexico. She told me that United's rule was that they had to be in carry on and that they knew this at the security scanner. I took the batteries out of my checked bag and put them into carry on, and I went though the scanner with no problems.
Was this out of Cozumel?

So they opened up a light and took out the removable NiMH battery because no removable batteries of any type are allowed, but they didn't open up and remove the Li batteries from your video lights?

It sounds like the rules are "There are no rules!"
Yeah, pretty much...

The Mexican officials won’t be on board with you if there is a lithium battery fire in the bin of the aircraft.

That said, I do intend to run this up the flagpole at headquarters. I’ll see what they say.
Dude, you just don't seem to get it.

Dude, you just don't seem to get it.
Dude! I do get it. This is a safety issue. I work for an airline. And I travel with my lithium batteries. We do NOT want lithium batteries in the checked bags. If there is a battery fire, aircraft fire systems cannot put it out. I do not want MY aircraft to have a problem.

That said, I do understand that the Mexican government and the airlines may be providing different guidance. And I've reached out to my contacts at our headquarters to raise this issue with Safety & Security and International teams. I will report back when I learn more.

In the mean time, my carryon recommendation remains. I've flown to/from CUN for the past 4 years and always carried on without issue.

In the mean time, my carryon recommendation remains. I've flown to/from CUN for the past 4 years and always carried on without issue.
Thank you for YOUR carryon recommendation, but unfortunately it's worth about as much as I paid for it. It is a given that US carriers don't want these batteries in checked bags, nobody is disputing that. Unfortunately, other countries treat this issue differently and have different rules. FAA, TSA, Southwest, AA, etc.... rules and regulations mean all of about nothing elsewhere in the world. This has been going on for years with what appears to be zero attempt at establishing uniformity in the industry. It will be funny to read what YOUR airline says about your inquiry, if anything at all.

Flights leaving U.S., spare batteries in carry on. Flights leaving Mexico, spare batteries in checked bags. That means you need to move your spare batteries from checked bag to carry on when you re-check your bags after C&I if you have connecting flights in the U.S.. I've not had any problems with batteries in equipment (i.e. lights, cameras, laptops, etc.) whether carry on or checked. YMMV.

What causes these Li-Ion batteries to spontaneously combust? Charging? Discharging? Are they stable when stored properly?

A correction from the email conversation...

“Camera’s and lights are considered PED’s (Personal Electronic Device) and technically are allowed in checked baggage. SWA only recommends PED’s be in carryon, but if unable, the device must be turned completely off. Are the lights “heat producing”? if so, the battery must be removed, protected from short circuit and transported in carryon baggage.”

I also learned that loose and spare batteries in carryon only are no longer just airline policy. It’s now part of airline regulations.

I’m copied in on the emails to the International and Cancun teams. They are looking to make sure Mexican Security are on the same page with airline policies and regulations. More follow up to come as I hear back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom