Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got to a spot at Garapata SB in Big Sur this morning. Day was sunny with a some breeze. Vis was 60ft or so. Some surge. Huge schools of blues, and other rockfish. The kelp is starting to grow. Lots of young bull kelp, the urchins are abundant, though I saw lots is starfish. Many different variaties of nudibraches as well. Water temp was 48. It was a beautiful dive:)

Breakwater today had 25ft vis after the drop off. 50 degree water. Saw several Rainbow Nudibranchs. Several Seal fly bys.
Second dive was North Monastery and vis was about the same or slightly better. 50 degree water here too. They are doing road work so coming back was a pain. It took 20-30 min to get from NM to the lihgt.

Breakwater on 5-17-18 was sunny and calm, 53 degree water and 5-10 vis. Check out short video;

Fun dive at the Breakwater this morning...dead flat, but poor viz.

Bottom time: 81 minutes
Max depth: 41 feet
Visibility: 10-15 feet
Water temperature: 54.3F to 61.5F (Buddy said his computer indicated 52F. )
Surface conditions: Sunny and dead flat when we entered. Small waves, overcast, and windy when we exited.

The visibility looked wonderful, walking along the breakwater...but that can be deceiving, eh?

We dropped at the 8 into some serious murk that may have improved to 15-ish feet as we got out toward the end. I had one harbor seal swim by early on, and lots of sea lions throughout the dive. We headed out along the bottom of the wall & encountered a couple of Lingcod along the way.

As the Sea Lion encounters increased we headed shallow. We did a pop-up out toward the end of the wall & got barked at severely. I had lots of sinus squeeze heading back down (& a bloody nose when we exited), but that settled down eventually.

Returning along the wall in shallower water we got into several large schools of fish, Blue Rockfish and a dense school of something smaller---I'll have to look at the video to identify 'em.

As we got into the shallows my buddy headed off into the sand flats away from the wall. We cruised along a 15 to 19foot depth contour for a while then turned back toward shore, surfacing when we were in about 6 feet of water.

3D diver was correct. Though I had to leave early because I had to be home by 2, when I entered the ocean it was sunny and calm. When I came out is was a bit windy and partially overcast with very small waves.

Diving was a bust on Saturday, Jun 9. Super windy with a forecast for some chop but we headed out on the Escapade anyway after some debate in the morning.

Dive 1 - Ridge NE of Shale Island. We dropped down and hit a super dense layer of algae around 30ft which went all the way to the bottom. Could barely see my own light, viz was as bad as I've ever seen in Monterey. Called the dive almost immediately and got back on the boat.
Dive 2 - Eric's Pinnacle. Most of the boat opted out as the surface conditions were getting rough. A couple of divers went in and reported 10ft viz with a fair bit of surge.

Lunch at Crepes of Brittany - win.
Drive back to Berkeley was as fast and traffic-free as the drive down to Monterey usually is - also a win.

my wife and I went out at the cove at lovers point the morning Saturday June 9th. water was flat with very little surge so we thought it should be good. we were wrong. we dropped down in about 20 feet and the vis was so bad I could barely see my out stretched hand. we headed up and started heading in. the only thing that saved the day for us was that the water was nice and calm so we were able to look around in the shallows, about 10ft, and had about 5 to 6 feet vis.

now my question.
what time of the year tends to have the most favorable conditions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom