Bauer Junior II Fresh Air Intake Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmorgan007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone with a Bauer Junior II provide the inside diameter of the round intake hole at the top of the compressor's air filter.

Anyone with technical knowledge, can you tell me what type of plastic pipe is considered safe to use as a snorkel for the air intake. I suspect the buzz word is "food grade". However I'm looking for specific rigid pipe recommendations.

Likely not gong to be able to use PVC or plastic electrical conduit from the local hardware store due to those types of plastics outgassing VOCs, volatile organic compounds.

Junior II with petrol drive is in transit and not coming with a snorkel. I waned to get some information to see if obtaining my own snorkel pipe would be a reasonable consideration before having to source a specilized part from a Bauer distributor.

Bottom line is is there a cheaper, more readily available and most of all safe for breathable air applications for a snorkel pipe solution for the Junior II than an official Bauer special part?

Yes I realize I will be using a Hopcalite Bauer filer but why over load the filtration system unnecessarily, after all that is the point of the snorkel to draw in cleaner air away from the petrol drive exhaust. It would be rather stupid to have a pipe outgassing VOCs directly in to the compressor at the intake.

Last edited:
I use a PVC pipe (and have for at least 10 years and 3,000 fills) which attaches at the open end by a normal plastic hose (not food grade) to my oxygen stick (also PVC pipe). Numerous people use PVC pipe for their oxygen sticks, I have never encountered or heard of a problem.

When I use the compressor with a petrol engine on our yacht, I use a similar setup (not the oxygen stick) but with a much longer plastic hose. However, it is important to make it as short as you can safely get away with as the longer the hose, the more friction and more likelihood that air could be sucked in at the two possible entry points (PVC pipe/hose join and where the PVC goes into the compressor) which could let engine fumes in as well.

The PVC pipe outside diameter is 20 mm exactly and this fits snug in the Junior II inlet.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does help. Thank you for the measurement and experience towards this concern

I received the Junior II (private sale) and to my pleasure it has the Bauer original two piece intake snorkel PVC pipes. Great design stowing them under the belt drive guard! Also the European metric PVC pipe fits as intended into the intake port without any retrofitting or taping US PVC pipe sizes to prevent any leakage.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
SeattleRingHunter.com

Back
Top Bottom