Kirby Morgan Superflow second stage- should I ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Só I bought the KB metal Superflow scuba second stage from American Diving Supplies and they were great to deal with (Thanks Mark). It is attached to a late model (upright version) Aqualung Titan first stage with an Aqualung titan LX secondary and a 2.5” brass SPG etc.
Here are my impressions and (mostly subjective) observations:
Firstly, I have read that the original KB Superflow was a te-engineered Conshelf 14 and this appears to be true, although I would say engineered and improved!
Putting a late model (1980) Conshelf XIV and the KB together it is immediately obvious that they are twins in every external aspect and dimension except the mouthpiece tube and downstream valve adjustment tube.
The quality of chrome finish looks great and is also on a par with the Conshelf.
The exhaust tee on the KB is a strange and antiquated looking thing but worst of all it is uncomfortable to use as the top edge of the tee impacted my face between my lower lip and chin. The Conshelf was wearing a later soft exhaust tee with the swept up/back whiskers and guess what, I swapped them over, perfect! The Conshelf tee fits as though it was made for the KB and honestly this is the tee they should be selling on the unit. Incidentally the exhaust valves are exactly the same in design and dimensions.
The mouthpiece tube is the same width as the Conshelf but significantly deeper in height like most modern high performance second stages. Looking inside the mouthpiece tube the Venturi vein is a beast, much larger than the Connie and rounded, it also looks a little crudely finished, like it was just cast then chromed without any polishing. The roller on the end of the demand lever is also obvious and can be seen rotating at the slightest movement of the diaphragm. I have not removed the front of the reg yet but will later and would be surprised if the fronts of the KB and the Conshelf area not interchangeable.
The factory mouthpiece was a flimsy affair and after raking through a box of spares I found that a Jax fitted perfectly- snug even without a tie wrap so it is now wearing that.
The IP on the Titan first stage is bang-on 140 psi and when turned on the KB will gently free flow with the adjustment full out- nothing too dramatic. The adjustment has a LOT of turns, about eleven as I recall from full closed to full open and it is easy to find the sweet spot for cracking pressure, which on this one is about 7 turns from full closed.
At first I was unshelled when I tried breathing from the reg on land, it seemed exactly the same as the Conshelf, however in the water it is noticeably nicer to breath from and compares well with most modern second stages- even balanced ones. It is also drier than any Conshelf I have used, although I don’t know why?
Overall I am happy with it and it is definitely a “modern” and much improved/ updated Conshelf, all you would have to do is change the badge on the purge button, but the KB one looks cool and kind of hairy chested anyway!

Here are some pics.
The large round venture is just visible inside the mouthpiece.

Attachments

• P5200001.JPG
    P5200001.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 126
  • P5200002.JPG
    P5200002.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 131
  • P5200003.JPG
    P5200003.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 121
  • P5200004.JPG
    P5200004.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 115
I don’t have a magnehelic but using a bucket of water and a set of calipers I turned it to the absolute minimum setting on the edge of freeflow and it looks like about .75” and the setting I dive at is just under an inch.

I don’t have a magnehelic but using a bucket of water and a set of calipers I turned it to the absolute minimum setting on the edge of freeflow and it looks like about .75” and the setting I dive at is just under an inch.

Nice, I can't get my Conshelfs below 1.2 without becoming unstable.

Há...sorry Couv, Looks nice, I thought you already had sold it!
The BA I got from you is still in similar condition and is currently looking a little lost, in the latest round of “musical regulators” it was left without a first stage when the music stopped.

You want it, nothing wrong with one, get it. Expensive, yes. Just goes with the hobby. Spend money, be happy.

Back
Top Bottom