Midlife Adventure Crisis!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disclaimer:
Albeit I only slowly, way too slowly and way late manage too eek out "a life" again, I do love my kids.
That said - and I mean it - let me say this:
@Wookie & @aquacat8:
Stop rubbing it in already, will ya...

No kids, single... at 49, I can do as I like and spend my money as I like. Which means I can dive as much as I have the time and money for.

Now I just hope my summer doesn't follow tomorrow - Lake Michigan charter got blown out. :(

Aren't we a selfish lot? LOL

I didn't want children either but was surprised one day to find that my mind had changed. Didn't matter because my body rejected the idea.

I've been laughing down that aisle since I was 33. I've been spoiling myself rotten every chance I get.

Still I wonder sometimes . . .

Well given world overpopulation, I figure those of us that didn’t want kids have left more space & resources for those that have them. And hopefully for critters too.

And I feel bad when I get off on a tangent........

My plan is to dive to 65m next Saturday, the day before my 65th birthday, so I'm past the midlife crisis :D

Age is just a number, however I do feel my right knee is not as strong as it was especially climbing a boat ladder with twin steels on my back. I do take a rest half way up sometimes.

Some of the dive boats in the UK have elevators at the stern to bring divers up to the deck from the water, I like that idea, but not compatible with the boats here, perhaps a small cherry picker to lift the gear out of the water would be a decent start though.

Passing stages up can be difficult enough in choppy water and those already on the boat need to be careful of their backs too.

I do like long shallow shore dives but not a lot to see where I live to be honest, although we have found some interesting nudibranchs recently at 5m, keeps me happy :)

Turned 64 this year and celebrated 50 years of diving. I do call more dive these days. Mostly for quality but also for reasons related to age, energy level, back, knee pain the usual. Sunday I called what was to be my 1st dive of 2018 but I had medical issues that changed my mind. There I was sitting in my car full of diving gear on a warm sunny day with calm water and good looking vis taking my BP! I never did that in my 20's I'll tell ya!! For the 1st time in my life I'm having serious thoughts about having to give up diving, sooner rather than later.

Most years I'd have at least a half dozen dives logged by now if not more. There are a few dives I don't do anymore, getting to and from the water is too much. Admitting this is hard but there are times when I think / feel like it's just too much work for an hour of diving. But I still love it and WILL continue.

My plan is to dive to 65m next Saturday, the day before my 65th birthday, so I'm past the midlife crisis :D

Age is just a number, however I do feel my right knee is not as strong as it was especially climbing a boat ladder with twin steels on my back. I do take a rest half way up sometimes.

Some of the dive boats in the UK have elevators at the stern to bring divers up to the deck from the water, I like that idea, but not compatible with the boats here, perhaps a small cherry picker to lift the gear out of the water would be a decent start though.

Passing stages up can be difficult enough in choppy water and those already on the boat need to be careful of their backs too.

I do like long shallow shore dives but not a lot to see where I live to be honest, although we have found some interesting nudibranchs recently at 5m, keeps me happy :)

Have a happy birthday and be safe!

It's moments like this that I wish I was an engineer. I would try to develop a gear cherry picker for Southeast Asian boats. It would need to be light and small and not get in the way but would certainly save a lot of backs! And probably some knees too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom