Cayman Air Experienced Multiple Technical Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a post on another forum stating that recently visitors were stranded on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman because of tech problems with Cayman Airways. I also read that Reef Divers on Little Cayman had taken to ferrying their guests over to Brac by boat to help them catch alternate flights back to Grand Cayman.

I found this article from May 11 citing a fuel leak on the Twin Otter, it also says that the Saab Turboprop had broken down, and some jets were diverted to Brac to assist. It sounds like it really was a big mess. Does anyone know if the problems have been fixed and if CAL is back on schedule?

https://www.caymanmarlroad.com/forum/breaking-news/cal-flight-issues-plague-passengers

CAL flight issues plague passengers

May 11, 2018

(CMR) For several consecutive days Cayman Airways has left passengers on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac stranded because several planes have been inoperable. They also experienced issues with other routes including Tampa, Cuba and Miami.

Little Cayman residents and travelers were under the impression that the issue was resolved last night when the plane was ferried (flown back without passengers) to Grand Cayman for repairs. However, after flying back to Little Cayman again this morning it was discovered that the issue was not yet been resolved.

We understand that the passengers had to be taken by boat to Cayman Brac and then transported to Grand Cayman. Several persons have taken to social media with their complaints about the delays which also impacted cargo shipments.

When poster commented on social media " Cayman Airways Sab down again 2 days I have been trying to get to Grand Cayman!"

CMR sources indicate that there appears to be some sort of fuel leak on the Twin Otter.

Cayman Brac also experienced difficulty today when the SAAB340 B+ aircraft also broke down and left those passengers without an immediate option to come to Grand Cayman.

Despite these issues there have been no public notifications from Cayman Airways on the matter and there are no updates posted on their website either. Further there has been no reports from the respective aviation agencies.

We understand that several jets were deployed to assist with the backlog including the 737-800NG which made its first inaugural flight to the Brac in order to assist with transporting passengers.

When asked about the issues another Bracker said:

"I have no clue, couple were “broken” for lack of better words"

Our sources further indicate that KX102 en route to Miami was also delayed this morning and had a knock off effect on the Tampa flight. The Cuba flight was canceled and there were attempts to combine the Miami and Tampa flights.

I don't have direct information from Cayman Airways, but as far as i'm aware all flights have been running regularly (well, as much as possible on 'island time') including domestic. We just had a bunch of people come in on Cayman Airways internationally for our Innerspace rebreather event and they had no issues.

As a bit of a self confessed aviation geek, reading the article it just seems a bit of bad luck of 2 planes going 'tech' (breaking down) at the same time. For any smaller airline such as Cayman Airways, that is always more difficult to absorb with the smaller number of planes and routes. A bigger airline usually has some planes they can use, or combine one of the many flights to free up planes or pick up passengers. Also based out of smaller airport such as Grand Cayman, spare parts are always a bit harder to get than a major airport like JFK, LAX, etc.

To be honest it's a bit of a storm in a glass of water really, planes around the world go 'tech' daily, and incidents are also a daily occurance. Just a bit more impact for a smaller airline. One of my favorite website to check for daily aviation mishaps is The Aviation Herald.

Last edited:
I think the complaint or concern has less to do with an airline having a plane or planes with mechanical problems resulting in flight cancellations than with not posting any information on their website or otherwise regarding the cancelled flights and of any options that might be available. Cayman Airways is big enough to at least do this and advise affected customers. Just my take and two cents.

I totally agree with the problem with a lack of info however will say that it has happened in many different places around the world to us and with airlines much bigger than Cayman. Ten hours on the tarmac in Spain, 8 hours with nothing sitting on a flight in Heathrow only to be taken off to fly the next day and 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize go to JFK. It is just part of traveling and really to be expected now and then. A little info would go along way as the hours go by.

I can think of much worse places to be stranded than the Cayman Sister Islands, but when you are packed and have connecting flights and commitments, then you are usually ready to go home - and being stuck with no communications can be very frustrating.

I have sat around in the heat at the tiny Little Cayman airport, waiting for something to happen or for someone to tell me something about the delay. I have done the same at the Brac and Grand Cayman airports, but at least they have more facilities - usually! But wherever I am stuck, anyplace around the world, I do appreciate some communications and updates - but a lot of airlines are really bad in that regard.

Anyway, it was nice that Reef Divers was willing to ferry passengers and luggage from LC to the larger airport on CB to give visitors other options for getting home.

I agree. But after living in various more remote and tropical places running on 'island time', I have become accustomed that you will be told nothing (or a thousand bits of conflicting information)... Just kick back and relax, pull out a good book, and things will happen when they happen!

Just kick back and relax? Some of us need to go back to work on a Monday morning to be able to afford to vacation in Cayman. Maybe it's time to buy some new planes. Those otters are at least 30 years old, maybe older. Dehaviland ended production in 1988.

I agree. But after living in various more remote and tropical places running on 'island time', I have become accustomed that you will be told nothing (or a thousand bits of conflicting information)... Just kick back and relax, pull out a good book, and things will happen when they happen!
That's true to a certain extent, but one of the reasons some people like Cayman (and pay the prices) is that things tend to be first world/reliable.

That's true to a certain extent, but one of the reasons some people like Cayman (and pay the prices) is that things tend to be first world/reliable.

I agree. Prices on Cayman warrant first world services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom