Wing nuts or lock nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great - after reading this thread I now have to learn how to weld...:banghead:

Still that is a good excuse for more toys but should we start another thread for which welder to get and whether Mig or Tig is better?

Still that is a good excuse for more toys but should we start another thread for which welder to get and whether Mig or Tig is better?
Why not? It works that way with compressors:)

For this application, you're gonna want to go with tig. Mig is great in that something like dual shield flux core is a super productive process, but in this instance you really want the control and cleanliness of the tig process. You're not doing production work on 150 flanges that need to be done yesterday. And really, for stainless, mig should never be the first choice of process.

If you go with a multiprocess machine like a Lincoln Powermig mp210 you can do mig, scratch start/lift arc tig, stick, and you can even do aluminum with a spool gun. Not my preferred choice for welding aluminum, but it's useful to have around if you don't want to spend lots of money on an ac/dc tig rig.

Old thread but my delrin nuts came loose and I lost one on a dive last weekend.
I thought I was cautious, but they got the better of me.
Had to end the dive and make my way back to the boat. Thankful for my dive buddy.

I have used quite a few things:
- Wing nut + split lock washer + washer are what came with my STA. This setup so far has never come loose on me, could it be STA or doubles.
- Highland "thick" delrin thumbwheel. These has been the worst, things come loose most of the dives no matter how much I tighten them.
- DGX lower profile delrin thumbwheel (larger diameter than Highland). These type is OK. Didn't come loose as often as the Highland.
- Pirahna stainless steel thumbwheel. These are quite good, a bit expansive.

My recommendation is just keep it simple, don't spend money on thumbwheels.

Overkill for sure, but just for fun here is a good video showing different lock washer solutions:

Quite costly.
Not needed on a BP&W.
But, a very nice solution!
And available in a marine grade (not their regular stainless, their 254 SMO grade).

"Quite costly" is an understatement. I've spec'd them before for certain applications. Eyeballs get pretty big....

$3 from Fastnal

Attachments

• D2602AE9-CB43-4AEC-8AB6-86A93A0D79E4.png
    D2602AE9-CB43-4AEC-8AB6-86A93A0D79E4.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 91
$3 from Fastnal

A piece.... (a pair is sold as a single unit, only way they work).

The ones I spec'd were almost 10 buck US a piece!!! We needed 300 of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom