Anybody here been to Mayan Princess??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracysaCADiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've got an opportunity to go to this resort on Roatan but wanted to find out from the community here what they thought about it, if any had been there?

Thanks!

I have been three times, but not in several years. What is it that concerns you? The condos were nice, I liked the first floor ones better. AI is basic, but there are several places to eat.
The dive shop has changed ownership since my visits so I can't help you there.

I was there in November great time good place.

I have been three times, but not in several years. What is it that concerns you? The condos were nice, I liked the first floor ones better. AI is basic, but there are several places to eat.
The dive shop has changed ownership since my visits so I can't help you there.

I was just wondering about how things work over there. From what I gather, unlike CCV, it's not a diver's only resort, so there are things for non-divers to do there as well. I also hear that its one that picks up folks off of the pier for Cruise Ships. Maybe this is more recent stuff, so things might have changed since you were there?

How are the DM's? I'm a fairly new diver (less than 10 dives under my dive belt).

I was just wondering about how things work over there. From what I gather, unlike CCV, it's not a diver's only resort, so there are things for non-divers to do there as well. I also hear that its one that picks up folks off of the pier for Cruise Ships. Maybe this is more recent stuff, so things might have changed since you were there?

How are the DM's? I'm a fairly new diver (less than 10 dives under my dive belt).

The diving is generally very easy, great for a beginner. Not a lot of current as a rule. Most dive sites on that side of the island are not deep. El Aguila is an exception, one end is at 100+ feet.
The resort is right on West Bay beach, so there is easy access to excursions, beach walks, water taxi to West End. The snorklimg is good at the end of the beach just a few minutes walk away. Several bars and restaurants to meander between. Not much late night activities tho, it is pretty quiet by 10:30.
Mayan Princess did sell cruiser day passes, they arrived after we had left on the dive boat. There was a separate beach section for them, and they set up a separate buffet section outdoors for lunch. We would get back from diving around 12:30 or 1:00, rinse gear, clean ourselves up go for lunch. By then they were already starting to thin out. I think they were generally all gone by 3:00 or 4:00.
Most of this info will apply to any hotel in West Bay. You can dive with the dive shop at the Mayan Princess or choose another dive shop is you prefer.

From what I gather, unlike CCV, it's not a diver's only resort, so there are things for non-divers to do there as well.

Correct. But there is not a ton to do in Roatan in general. The location of the Mayan is in a resort area - not in a village. There are a few shops on the beach and in town. The Mayan has a lovely pool and it's on a gorgeous beach with nice snorkeling. The food is good.

I haven't stayed there but I have used the pool and eaten there. The grounds are very nice.

Really good dm's there's no dock so you wade to the boats but they have everything but mask, fins waiting on board for you

What time of year is this trip?

Thanks. Thought I would answer both of your posts here.

The trip is with a local dive shop and not on my own, and it's scheduled for the end of June. That's good to know about the equipment, only thing is, with the Noseeums and sand fleas around there, I think I'd want to have my dive skin and shorty with me. That way, I can minimize the bites, or at least try.

Of course, I would also apply something to try and keep those little buggers away.

The diving is generally very easy, great for a beginner. Not a lot of current as a rule. Most dive sites on that side of the island are not deep. El Aguila is an exception, one end is at 100+ feet.
The resort is right on West Bay beach, so there is easy access to excursions, beach walks, water taxi to West End. The snorklimg is good at the end of the beach just a few minutes walk away. Several bars and restaurants to meander between. Not much late night activities tho, it is pretty quiet by 10:30.
Mayan Princess did sell cruiser day passes, they arrived after we had left on the dive boat. There was a separate beach section for them, and they set up a separate buffet section outdoors for lunch. We would get back from diving around 12:30 or 1:00, rinse gear, clean ourselves up go for lunch. By then they were already starting to thin out. I think they were generally all gone by 3:00 or 4:00.
Most of this info will apply to any hotel in West Bay. You can dive with the dive shop at the Mayan Princess or choose another dive shop is you prefer.

Good to know. I'll be going with a local dive shop, so I think we'll be at the resort, That's of course, if I decide to go. Wanted to get some general information from others outside the shop, so that I would get information that they wouldn't really tell me. I didn't want to go with what they had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom