A college degree in diving!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
I looked around south florida for some college to look at transferring to. A big issue has been finding one I can go to(did bad in highschool,ant done with a 2 year degree yet) for my degree, (construction/architecture).

A guy I talk with alot on scubatoys' forum referred me to florida keys community college and their diving program, since I had talked with him about becoming an instructor one day.

I am set to check out the school and the diving program tomorrow.

Looks like they have a wide range of areas, IE instructor dive boat captian, the business angle of it, research commercial and much more.

Recreational Diving - Academics - Florida Keys Community College

I am thinking going for the instructor angle, and working part time on the boat captian angle. I think both would fit me well.

One questions I have for you guys, is what is the job prospects for a an instructor or boat captain in Florida?

One thing I like it is has the opportunity to receive alot of the certs for specialties, dive master, instructor and so on through out the program. \\

Also does anyone know anything or have thoughts on the program at fkcc

I don't think you need a college degree in diving. Just get with an agency and complete all the necessary courses to become an instructor. I would go to college as a back-up plan in case you get tired of diving.

I totally agree with robbcayman, you aint need college degree in diving. Pick up a courses, read some blogs and thats all you need to become an instructor. Spending time in college for a instructor degree just aint worth it.

There are a lot of pretty useless college degrees. If you are just after the degree and don't have a specific career goal in mind, why not go this route. I have done quite a bit of interviewing candidates for manager level roles, and have found all kinds of things. Sports medicine etc.

I would have more respect for "Sports mgt/diving", than "Gender studies"

Agree with the above. You would be much better off with a general business degree and work on the diving/captain as you go thru school. Just more versatile if/when life throws a curve.

As for specific jobs, it really depends on what you would like to do. Commercial, industrial, recreational, fishing, dive boat.

Taking the advanced dive certification classes with a dive shop, and living on the cheap while you did it, would be WAY cheaper and faster than going to college for that training. And what the college offers you in the business side of boat operations, etc. you could again pick up way cheaper by hiring on as a crew on a dive boat or charter boat, and learning on the job. And getting paid for it.

It might be a very good program, but I think it is an expensive way to get the education.

As for job prospects? In the Keys, everyone and his brother is trying to compete with you. Housing costs are through the roof, and wages will be low--because there's so much competition. A rough business to be in, unless you've got something really special to offer. And the budget to pay for getting the word out about it.

And then when you are done, if you decide after a year or two that diving just isn't a way to make a living? A lot of dive shops and operators turn over because they find out it wasn't what they thought. But how valuable will your degree in diving, from a community college, be? Will it have you trained you for whatever is the next alternative? (I have no idea how that college is rated, just asking the question.)

For that matter...the USN will pay you to join, and if you qualify for dive school, they'll give you some of the most extensive training you can get, which can be rolled over into a career in the USN or in commercial diving. (Which can also be a hard way to make a living.) Plus veterans' benefits.

Agree with the general consensus that you don't need a degree in something that leads to a very questionable career as far as making a good living. I hear Commercial diving pays really well, but you can only do it for so many years when you are young. But no degree needed, pass one of those schools' courses in commercial diving.
My 2 degrees are in clarinet performance. These are good should you run out of TP in the outhouse. Some top orchestral players don't have college degrees, they just play great, and are the luck 50 or so out of maybe hundreds of thousands who have auditioned for these jobs. Top salary is now $165,000 (LA Philharmonic)---not $54M over 5 years with an ERA of 3.54. I added a Teaching Certification to my performance degrees, which led to 19 years of full employment and decent salary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom