Convulsions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know how we got into epileptic seizure, but I did see one once. A tuba player during a band (professional) rehearsal circa 1990 (?). He's still playin'.

I've seen it in the chamber and a few friends over the year. Never underwater.

Assures me a very well attached gag strap or full face mask would be ideal if we expect to survive an event underwater or have a buddy and an unobstructed airway for an emergency ascent.

I'm not sure a tight gag strap would work

Watching both videos consecutively certainly highlights how farcical and unrealistic our hobby dive training videos are.

Sobering topic,
Cameron

I've never taken seriously those videos...

Don't know how we got into epileptic seizure, but I did see one once. A tuba player during a band (professional) rehearsal circa 1990 (?). He's still playin'.
well, I'm pretty sure tuba playing is less dangerous than diving
seriously though, I have a friend that suffers of seizure and he really would likes to dive
he hasn't had a seizure in years, but still, it is too dangerous for him to try

I’m unfortunately all too familiar with seizures...my oldest daughter has them daily.

In my opinion, it you aren’t wearing a FFM and Tox in the water...your survival is dependent on luck alone...no procedure will save you 9 out of 10 Times.

I have never personally witnessed a convulsion or any other confirmed OxTox symptom. However, commercial and military divers and supervisors are acutely aware of symptoms and often take a diver off O2 at the slightest suspicion. I believe @Duke Dive Medicine has seen one or more.

I've often posted about my bungeed primary in my mouth in lieu of buying an expensive FFM. I THINK it would hold the mouthpiece in
if I ever convulsed. Haven't yet heard of anyone else doing that.

I've often posted about my bungeed primary in my mouth in lieu of buying an expensive FFM. I THINK it would hold the mouthpiece in
if I ever convulsed. Haven't yet heard of anyone else doing that.
I have a bungee around my 2nd stage as well, but I'm pretty sure that, if your mouth gets wide open like the mouth of the poor guy in the video, you will swallow a lot of water...
But I'm a scientist, and I like to prove my theories: I'll try to open my mouth Saturday (it's when I'm diving next) and I'll let you know...

I have a bungee around my 2nd stage as well, but I'm pretty sure that, if your mouth gets wide open like the mouth of the poor guy in the video, you will swallow a lot of water...
But I'm a scientist, and I like to prove my theories: I'll try to open my mouth Saturday (it's when I'm diving next) and I'll let you know...

I use to delude myself into thinking a tight bungee would replace a proper gagstrap (which has been used in the French navy to reduce tox deaths on their oxygen rebreathers [edit: not the sole factor in the study, perhaps less significant than suspected] ) but after seeing people tox in the chamber I now believe it might be too violent for the bungee to be useful if I ever did tox while solo. I have my doubts about a gagstrap as well.

Working to avoid oxygen toxicity is a much better use of your time then trying to mitigate the consequences of oxygen toxicity.

You’re probably not going to survive if you tox in the water.

Back
Top Bottom