Old diver but force fins newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the message Bob. In almost 30 years of scuba diving, I seldom had the pleasure of a word from the founder of firm I use the equipment. :thumb:
Your most welcome..I have pulled out from Scuba board several times after rude remarks. I could not stand up to the Neg, Hits, I respect our President Trump who just keeps going. I would have run out the WH front door with the first CNN Fake News report. I take to much personal. Life is to short..funny no notice on Richard Stuart passing, a real diving hero ?

Hi everybody,

Reviving the thread, cause at last I could try my force fins tonight in pool with my twin tank. It's becoming very interesting (frog kick, helicopter). Still some way to go, but I'm heading the right way with them now.

Still, it's disconcerting : I feel like I've non fins on, so I tend to kick too fast... Hope to test them in the Med within 2 or 3 weeks. Will let you know... Nite nite !

I swim in a pool with my regular forse fins, I think they are pro, 1 1/2 miles several times a week and love them. I only use my legs about 75% of the time and use a modified flutter kick. I use a Scubapro boot for the fit. I also use the same fin for diving. I tried the swim fin but I don't get enough resistance with them. The only problem I have is that the strap slips, but I've never lost a fin. They stay on without the strap !

I found the same with the swim fin - not enough resistance. My Pros just don't work for me when doing surface swims.
But I found a pair of Rip Force and they work great for surface swims. Much stiffer than the Swim Fins, so I don't overkick them and the angle of the blade is designed for surface swimming. Add a pair of whiskers and they add resistance (that is variable with the whisker angle). And no need for boots since they have an adjustable foot pocket with a comfort insert built in.

My wife now uses my original swim fins - they work for her.

I just sent the Swim Fins back and will exchange them foe the Rip Force ones. I'm looking forward to more resistance. I used to swim 3 times a week with the originals, but lately they have started to hurt the top of both feet. I think that the different foot pocket of the Rip Force will eliminate the pressure on the top of my foot.

Hi everybody,

Been interested in force fins since 2000, after I've discovered them on an ad in 'Historical Diver Magazine', found their features both innovative and intriguing, thought I'd give them a try...

Alas, living on this side of the pond, it means force fins are as rare as Nessie, so I never had a chance, until last week : discovered a pair of 2nd hand ones at a reasonable price.

Tried them yesternight in the pool. Rather disconcerting, it seems I need to learn again how to swim with fins. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, cause after 800 m (roughly half a mile) I got tired, and usually, I swim between 1.2 and 2 km (0.75 mile and 1.25 mile).

Has anyone any tips ?

Cheers,

JMBL.

PS : Concerning my experience : first certified in 1990, an average of 52 dives / year (Altantic, Med, Cave, normoxic trimix and deep air). Through the years, used : jet fins, Scubapro Seawings (not the Nova, the 90s ones), Mares Avanti Tre (my fins for pool swimming), Mares Avanti Quattro (when diving wet), Mares Power Plana (when diving dry).
Surface swimming I train in the Slim Fin. I reduced the leading edges which allow you to keep the fin underwater. I tend to reduce surface swimming with my Pro's and roll over if I hit the surface to early. Thanks for trying Force Fins which hit the market in 1983.

Hi Bob !

Thanks for the tip. Tried them yesternight in the pool (no tank) : surface swimming is getting good, but it seems I need to bend the knee more than with my regulars fins.

Hi Bob !

Thanks for the tip. Tried them yesternight in the pool (no tank) : surface swimming is getting good, but it seems I need to bend the knee more than with my regulars fins.
Was thinking about this surface swimming. Years ago a U.S. Marine who did Turtle back ? asked me to help make a better surface swimming fin with extra power. I did, making the Foil Force, and coin the name " Split Fin". But a certain group came in with a poor design and tore into our Company with FAKE NEWS REPORTS. left a very bad taste in my mouth and I dropped out. The Force Fin Foil Force is great for surface swimming, with a power and recovery snap. Just thinking .Thanks.https://www.forcefin.com/scuba/foil-force-fin-the-first-split-blade-fin

Tried them in the Med (Medes Islands) last weekend. Very happy with them. :)

Pros :
- compact, so easier to load in the kit bag, and to walk on the boat
- lighter to carry,
- forget them in the water, don't feel like kicking (frog kick mainly)

Cons :
Didn't do so good in a strong current (with my usual fins, I do), meaning I'm not perfectly used to them yet. So only a temporary setback.

Concerning the dive : lousy visibility after a week of heavy rains and strong winds, but when you meet friendly 200 pounds groupers, you just forget it ! :D

Have a nice week.

Well, you will figure how to handle currents, hopefully in in a pair of Pro's. Even diving for 20 years in Jet fins I had to wrap it up due to strong currents may times...Thanks for the up date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom