Papua New Guinea vs Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm evalutating PNG for a future travel but given the prices (bloody hell!!!) ain't gonna happen unless I become very selective on where to go and dive, so I'd need to choose carefully. Having said this, where in your opinion can I get the best "bang for buck" in PNG? I LOVE nudibranch, but a little bit of everything is better for me. Tawali? Tufi? Madang? Kavieng? Rabaul? Can't see myself doing more than one resort and maybe a day dive in one other location.
Thanks in advance!

I think Tawali or Tufi have the best bang for buck in terms of diversity of diving. Both have good reef dives, and both have good macro. Tawali is better for macro though if that's your preference. If you prefer more big stuff, Kavieng may be better for you, but it's not so good for the small critters.

Your comment about "one resort and maybe a day dive in another location" isn't really practical. None of the resorts are anywhere near each other (I see this as a good thing, it means no crowds), and all require flights via Port Moresby and additional vehicle/boat travel. Say for example you went to Tawali, you'd arrive into Port Moresby, fly to Alotau, drive a few hours and get a boat to the resort, then v.v. back to Moresby. Then you'd have to get on another plane and go to another resort to go wherever you wanted to do your "day dive". There's currently no resort operating in Moresby that I'm aware of to do any day diving. The one that was there (Loloata Resort) closed down in 2016, and to the best of my knowledge isn't scheduled to reopen until 2019 - in theory, I've heard about it reopening multiple times before.

Thanks @WetPup, I know that all resorts are isolated (prepared an itinerary one year ago) and would need to fly in and out, I'm ready to that. This also adds up to the costs so that's why I'm enquiring to those who've been there what was their favourite: spending a shitload of money and then not being satisfied would be a pity...

So there isn't even a dive shop in Port Moresby currently? Or are you strictly talking about "dive resort"?

Thanks @WetPup, I know that all resorts are isolated (prepared an itinerary one year ago) and would need to fly in and out, I'm ready to that. This also adds up to the costs so that's why I'm enquiring to those who've been there what was their favourite: spending a shitload of money and then not being satisfied would be a pity...

So there isn't even a dive shop in Port Moresby currently? Or are you strictly talking about "dive resort"?
There's the Port Moresby Sub-Aqua Club. Not strictly a dive shop, but they do run trips. You'd have to get your timing right though.

There was a dive shop called The Dive Centre, but they went quiet last year and not sure if they're still actually operating.

Lots of great info here, thanks everyone for the input. My work situation has changed so I'm going to have to watch the pennies, PNG will be another time !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom