Wakulla Springs B-Tunnel Video (WKPP)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the double suex unit dives fine. very weird to dive. very FAST.
I did some line work in wakulla with the thing last week and it was....different.

As it's (the one i dived) a camera platform, it has a slow start system that takes some getting used to along with all the extra mass and quirks

He lives on the edge. He fills his LP tanks beyond 2640psi. He can use whatever duct tape color he wants!

GUE's gotta GUE.... It's like not having a Wakulla patch on a DUI. I hear they kick you out for that stuff.

the double suex unit dives fine. very weird to dive. very FAST.
I did some line work in wakulla with the thing last week and it was....different.

As it's (the one i dived) a camera platform, it has a slow start system that takes some getting used to along with all the extra mass and quirks

Can you describe "weird?" Props rotate the same way or are they counter rotating?

In my mind, counter rotating props like a Piper Seneca, turning towards the center of mass, would negate any negative effects if you lost one of the scooters. Would also make the camera platform super duper stable.

no they are two regular scooters and the triggers are attached by a delrin rod.
there is some flex in the rod so when you hit a trigger, that scooter starts a little bit sooner than the other. so, for a second, the whole thing goes diagonal. then the other scoot kicks on and it straightens out and if you have the speed up, it takes off like a rocketship

I think maybe a steel core in the rod or maybe a carbon fiber rod would stiffen things up and fix it, but i'm not sure if it's a big deal for their prospective customers. too rich for my blood so I am not one of those people :)

Thanks for sharing.

Could the PVC things be markers to recalibrate the inertial reference of a mapper used in a previous survey?

Re twin scooters: Counter-rotating propellers only lessen the effect of p-factor and that is not an issue in diving. One way to deal with the yaw resulting from only one scooter working is to remove the dead one, ditch it, or tow it behind. I am certain that the connections between the scooters and to the lights and camera could be designed to be reliable, rigid, and easily reconfigurable.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Could the PVC things be markers to recalibrate the inertial reference of a mapper used in a previous survey?

Re scooters: Counter-rotating propellers lessen the effect of p-factor that is not an issue in diving. One way to deal with the yaw resulting from only one scooter working is to remove the dead one, ditch it, or tow it behind. I am certain that the connections between the scooters and to the light and camera could be designed to be both rigid and reconfigurable.
that could be. the USDCT used some wacky mapping thing in there I think

that could be. the USDCT used some wacky mapping thing in there I think
Yea that’s totally possible.

There’s all kinds of weird historical stuff in Wakulla. I spotted a 3-4” floating washer that was tied to a teeny little weight in the grand canon room the other day. Very strange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom