Update me on the battery rules!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I find even more irritating is that I believe it is feigned ignorance. How can you possibly work in an airport every day where dozens if not hundreds of passengers per day are carrying loose batteries and have the same issues, and not know the actual policy? It would be like working in a dive shop and someone says they forgot to pack their c-card and you acting like this has never happened before in history and you have no idea how to handle it.
Depend on if you can sell lithium batteries.

Seems fairly clear from the posts on this thread.

Flying into Mexicoall batteries belong in your carry on.

Flying out of Mexico batteries are in checked bags and once you get to the US they go into carry on bags.

Not IME. I flew out of Cancun earlier this week and was told to carry on all lithium batteries, including my canister light. Just like the U.S. flights.

I had heard stories about not being allowed to take extra batteries on board, like a spare for a dive computer, but I didn't have a problem.

Edit: They were very interested in my canister light, I had to open the canister and show them the travel setting where it is impossible for the light to get turned on accidentally.

Two years ago we flew out of Coz (July 2016) on American. The American desk agent asked specifically about our camera batteries, looked at them, told us they go in our carry-on and our AA rechargeable batteries go into the checked baggage. I did have a small adjustable wrench and mosquito repellant wipes confiscated from my carryon. First time in 9 trips to Coz that I had any problem. Batteries were a non-issue thanks to the AA desk agent. As we are going to be flying out of Coz in August, I hope to do the same (but with small tool and mosquito repellant in checked bag).

Two years ago we flew out of Coz (July 2016) on American. The American desk agent asked specifically about our camera batteries, looked at them, told us they go in our carry-on and our AA rechargeable batteries go into the checked baggage. I did have a small adjustable wrench and mosquito repellant wipes confiscated from my carryon. First time in 9 trips to Coz that I had any problem. Batteries were a non-issue thanks to the AA desk agent. As we are going to be flying out of Coz in August, I hope to do the same (but with small tool and mosquito repellant in checked bag).
I don't know about American, but United instituted a new rule to require that all spare Li batteries, limit two per device, be in carry on bags. It happened between my May 2017 and April 2018 Cozumel trips.

Not so, not if you are flying United, at any rate.
Or Southwest.

Went through security at Cancun yesterday. Carried on an UWLD 35 primary with a lithium battery, a light monkey hand held primary with lithium battery(i think), three back-up lights with AAA batteries, a box with a CO and O2 analyzers. Took the lady about two minutes to look at when she opened it. She seemed more interested in the analyzers than the batteries. YMMV.

I took my two spare camera batteries out and showed them to the agent when I was checking my bag yesterday and asked where I should put them. He had me keep them with me in my carry on (American Airlines) and I didn't get so much as a raised eyebrow while going through security. Seems Cozumel has finally caught up.

Last edited:
I just flew back from Coz June 2nd. They confiscated a few small tools I kept in order to make my checked weight, plus an unopened travel-size bottle of Pepto, but didn't say a word about the lithium batteries I had in my carry-on. The couple behind me had the opposite experience and got all their lithium batteries confiscated. Sometimes it just kinda feels like they are making it up as they go along.

...wonder what really happens to all those confiscated items after the flights are gone? :confused:

Cancun to Montreal, air transtr June 1:

Carry on:
13 nimh cells in canister
3 18650 lithium cells in canister
16 nimh in dive light
8 loose 14650
1 nimh in dive light
4 loose lithium camera batteries
24 loose nimh batteries
2 lithium camera batteries in cameras

...plus a handful of regs, a few tools and a dozen masks etc.

Bag was searched, they wondered what the canned tuna was. Nothing else was interesting to them.

Mileage may vary.
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom