Face stuff and masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay Ladies,

I know I can't be the only one with this problem, but I can't find any threads addressing one of things I hate most about diving: the infamous, annoying leaking mask. Yeah, sometimes it's hair but more often it's sunscreen or moisturizer causing the problem. I know people say put sunscreen (yup, I'm using ocean-friendly kind) hours ahead and it will be absorbed and cause no leaks, but even 4 hours between application and dive time doesn't do it for me. I hate to go without anything on my skin, but that's the route I usually go. Any tips out there?

Thanks!

I wonder if you have a tear in the mask skirt.

To clarify, without cream your mask doesn't leak?

I tend to experience a good fitting mask doesn't need to leak no matter what I rub onto my face predive. I use to use heavy sunscreen within in hour of diving (beginning the boat trip)

I'm not the best demographic at this point, I don't use sunscreen anymore but have tried a ton of expensive masks which don't easily seal well on my face and a handful that just won't leak. The difference is remarkable.

Some faces need a little more care when fitting a mask, might it be an equipment problem?

Cameron

Well thanks for the replies. I should've clarified that my mask does not leak without hair or sunscreen in the mix.

You do not need sunscreen under water. Wear a wide brimmed hat out of water. What I do. Note picture.

Probably not ideal, but maybe only apply the sunscreen on the areas of your face exposed outside of the mask? I don't wear sunscreen (i know, i know...i should), so I haven't had that problem, but I would try putting on my mask and then applying the sunscreen around the area.

I would guess that if the OP's mask does not leak except for hair and sunscreen...maybe it is time to look at some alternative sunscreens. Many are greasy or creamy lotions, perhaps that is "lubricating" the skin too much. Some of the spray cans, like Neutrogena, can be used to spray on your palms and then massage into the face, and they dry up rather quickly. Or you might try getting a "buff" (like an oversize sock that fits around your head or neck, a more versatile balaclava of sorts) and using that before the dive, then putting on the sunscreen afterwards. There are some buffs that have higher sunblock ratings, for that purpose.

Another option, using an astringent cleaner to "degrease" before the dive, and apply sunblock again afterwards.

One of my masks seems to autopurge itself, it always stays bone dry. The other always finds a way to get a little water in. I gave up trying to figure it out years ago, I just purge as needed, as the sloshing gets too high.

There only one reason could be from creme (sunscreen) - you mask is sliding to the bottom, to the mouth, or opposit - to the top, to the forehead.

Because creme is like additional sealing from tiny wrinkles, and increase leakage protection!
E.g. some people with big moustache use creme on it to prevent leakage there.

You can try to change strap force. Or you can use neoprene mask STRAP (not strap cover) like this:
61Tb3ZzRpFL._SL1000_.jpg

and DO NOT SMILING UNDERWATER! (it is NOT a joke)

I am skeptical that your mask fits and seals well. A properly sealing mask should be unaffected by sunscreens, moisturizers, etc. I would suggest trying a variety of masks to see if you can find one that works better. Many experienced divers who insist on using the mask they've always used and are convinced it fits perfectly are pleasantly surprised when they dive a better fitting mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom