Cold water but hot day: drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubai here. So I can easily match the Arizona heat with the Florida humidity.

I have a breathable suit and it seems to work well (Fourth Element) I get hotter in a wetsuit

As others have said. Get your gear sorted before you suit up. Mines checked - and all I need to do is re-check gas is on with idot breaths

Learn to get your gear on quickly without faffing - but ensuring its sorted.

Enjoy the smugness of those diving wet shivering at the end of a dive

I have a breathable suit and it seems to work well (Fourth Element) I get hotter in a wetsuit

Any durability issues with the material? I assume you have the agronaut kevlar and dive a lot with it as you are an instructor...

My fiancé and I occasionally struggle from this problem while diving in San Diego. Some days the air is 85-95 and the water is under 60. We wear 7mm wetsuits, hoods, gloves, and booties. When you get to the dive sites late you have to walk pretty far to the water since parking is tight. I always feel like I'm going to croak from a heat stroke on these days!

My solutions:

1. These warm, calm days are perfect days to take the boat out.
2. Hustle! Get in the water ASAP.
3. Get your wetsuit wet at home so that you don't overheat while walking to the water.

I think suffering from the heat before getting in is just part of diving.

Any durability issues with the material? I assume you have the agronaut kevlar and dive a lot with it as you are an instructor...
I don't have enough dives on mine to fully answer. But research before I got mine showed the early versions were not good. Something changed and they are now good. That was a couple years ago. So far the information that they have improved has proven true for me. Although it has only been a little over a year since I got it. If you look hard enough you can find problems with anything. And those with problems tend to be very vocal about it where the non-problems just don't care as it works.

If I lost my Ursuit BDS today, would I get another one? Yes I would. I would still shop around. But my casual keeping on top of stuff doesn't show anything I want to jump on that is better than what I have now. I would order it the same, well maybe a custom fit to trim down the calves (skinny legs and gaiters now) and down 1 size on the boots. But those are minor tweaks. Nothing worth currently changing what I have.

If you didn't know, the BDS is very related to the Argonaut. Ursuit custom makes the Argonaut for Fourth Element. But they are different, not just a rebadge.

I dunk my hood over the side and get it nice and wet, then put it on. Evaporation cools the hood, and so cools the head.
And with the hood on, I'm already ready to jump.
Works for me.

If you didn't know, the BDS is very related to the Argonaut. Ursuit custom makes the Argonaut for Fourth Element. But they are different, not just a rebadge.

I know this very well and would most likely consider Ursuit BDS if I dare. Waterproof also has some interesting breathable drysuit options, namely EX2 and D9X both of which use a new version of breathable fabric that should be more durable.

Also... make sure you stay hydrated. P-valve is a very good investment. Keep head/hair wet at all times, and just do what others say. Practice gearing up at home so everyting runs smoothly.

I've practiced to where I can be ready from underwear to fully kitted and ready to dive in five minutes with wet gloves
I dive drysuit and wet gloves when the water gets above 50f i switch to a beanie in water above 60f and once

Florida boy here. Generally diving some form of spring in my suit 2 to 3 days a week this time of year. I prep everything before even changing into my undergarments. This means hanging all my and getting my doubles as close to donnable near the waters edge. Then I hurry up and get everything on and into the water as quickly as possible. Don't even bother with my gloves and hood until I'm cooled down and on the 20 ft platform

Reactions: Zef
Pack the collar around your neck seal full of ice once your suit is on. It's like turning on the air conditioning.
I also stick my hood in the cooler packed full of ice, feels pretty good when you pull it on :)
For long boat rides, I'll stick my thermals in a dry bag and put them in the cooler as well. doesn't last long, but helps hold the sweat back for a few minutes at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom