Damaged wiring - Canon hot shoe connector in 200DL houseing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Langdon Stevenson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I recently purchased a 200DL Ikelite housing for a Canon 80D. While loading the camera into the housing for the first time - having already connected the TTL hot shoe connector, the camera slipped backwards and wrenched the wiring in the hot shoe connector. Two of the wires (the blue and red) were torn from their solder beds. The white, green and orange are still attached as shown below.

2018-05-20 13.18.02.jpg

I am experienced with electronics and soldering and am comfortable re-soldering the wires - however it is only 80% clear which wire should be attached to which pad on the hot shoe circuit board.

Would it be possible to provide a wiring diagram for this component to allow me to affect repairs?

I am due to travel with this housing very soon, so returning the housing for repair is not an option unfortunately.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Langdon

Email Jean at ikelite@ikelite.com or
see where they appear to want to lie and solder them back in place.
I would guess only the bottom 4 terminals were used.
Going clockwise maybe red, blue, empty, empty, orange, green

My guess:

Red wires are embedded in the solder still on the bottom left. Snapped off cleanly.

Blue pulled partially free from the solder. Can see half of them still stripped and the equal length severed twins still in the middle left.

I'd put my armchair confidence in the high 90s considering the shape of both broken wires.

Thinking hoof prints. They match nicely.

Sorry I can't help with the diagram to be sure.

Maybe this: Wiring Diagrams + Test Firing Strobes
combined with this:
1375737084-CanonHotSh-o.png

Is helpful?

All the best,
Cameron

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently purchased a 200DL Ikelite housing for a Canon 80D. While loading the camera into the housing for the first time - having already connected the TTL hot shoe connector, the camera slipped backwards and wrenched the wiring in the hot shoe connector. Two of the wires (the blue and red) were torn from their solder beds. The white, green and orange are still attached as shown below.

View attachment 460530

I am experienced with electronics and soldering and am comfortable re-soldering the wires - however it is only 80% clear which wire should be attached to which pad on the hot shoe circuit board.

Would it be possible to provide a wiring diagram for this component to allow me to affect repairs?

I am due to travel with this housing very soon, so returning the housing for repair is not an option unfortunately.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Langdon

Hi Langdon,

Here are the correct locations for the Red and Blue wires (see attached pdf). I understand that you are unable to return the housing to Ikelite for repair, however, this will void the limited warranty on your housing electronics.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Attachments

• canon-80d-wiring.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 486
Hi Langdon,

Here are the correct locations for the Red and Blue wires (see attached pdf). I understand that you are unable to return the housing to Ikelite for repair, however, this will void the limited warranty on your housing electronics.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thanks Brett!

Great to see a manufacturer's representative supporting customers this way! Ideally we'd all use factory servicing, by I rejoice in you helping with info to aid limited emergency field repair. As photographers, we need to get the shot.

Cheers!
Cameron

Hi Langdon,

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thank you Brett, much appreciated and I understand about the warranty.

Langdon

My guess:

Red wires are embedded in the solder still on the bottom left. Snapped off cleanly.

Blue pulled partially free from the solder. Can see half of them still stripped and the equal length severed twins still in the middle left.

I'd put my armchair confidence in the high 90s considering the shape of both broken wires.

Thinking hoof prints. They match nicely.

Sorry I can't help with the diagram to be sure.

Maybe this: Wiring Diagrams + Test Firing Strobes
combined with this:
View attachment 460534
Is helpful?

All the best,
Cameron

Thank you Cameron, I dug up the same diagram myself eventually, but couldn't work out a definitive answer from it!

I was with you on the origins of the detached wires too, but wanted to be 100% sure. Thanks again for the input.

Langdon

Hi Langdon,

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

UPDATE:

I have resoldered the wires and reassembled the hotshoe adaptor. It didn't work immediately, so I checked the connector at the other end (that attaches to the electronics package) and discovered that it was loose. Once seated properly it worked again!

One last question: is it possible to buy just the hotshoe adaptor from Ikelite, rather than the whole Canon TTL package? If so, is there a part number that I can quote?

Regards,
Langdon

UPDATE:

I have resoldered the wires and reassembled the hotshoe adaptor. It didn't work immediately, so I checked the connector at the other end (that attaches to the electronics package) and discovered that it was loose. Once seated properly it worked again!

One last question: is it possible to buy just the hotshoe adaptor from Ikelite, rather than the whole Canon TTL package? If so, is there a part number that I can quote?

Regards,
Langdon

Hi Langdon,

You can purchase the Canon TTL electronics with the hotshoe attached: part #46070 - $375.00, OR remove the electronics and send to the Ikelite Service Dept. to have the hotshoe repaired - $75.00 plus return shipping. We do not sell the hotshoe separately.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom