The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tcoen
Question: in the info row, you can choose 2 or 3 values. Let's say you have Tissues, and Stopwatch. Can you still have a third value like the combined T1/GTR?

You can, but it gets pretty busy:

upload_2018-5-30_16-26-6.png

Personally, I prefer a nice clean Big layout. But that's why we added these options, so divers can setup the screen to their preferences and style of diving.

Best regards,
Tyler

Some notes about battery life.

The battery lasts about 50 hours on high brightness. However, if the compass is being shown on the screen (note, on-screen and not just turned on), then the battery life is only about 30 hours. This is because we increase the screen refresh from 4 times per second to 16 times per seconds to get a nice smooth moving compass display. The compass is much easier to use at 16 fps than 4 fps.

If you are turning it off between dives, then 30 to 50 hours is a lot of diving between charges. If you are using it as a watch, then 50 hours is about 3 days of use (if used 16 hours per day). If you take it off and put the Teric down, it shuts off automatically. Therefore, it will typically be off while you are sleeping.

AMOLED displays use power based on how many pixels are illuminated and to what brightness. So times above may vary a bit (+/-5 hours) based on what is being displayed.

Standby is about 6 months on a full charge, but you should typically store a Li-Ion battery at 80% or below. Recommendations are often storing 40%, but since the Teric does use a small amount of power while in standby, we recommend starting at 60% to 80% so you don't need to recharge as often. We recommend to not let the battery completely discharge. This is bad for the health of Li-Ion batteries. Also, you will lose the clock time and decompression tissues if completely discharged. All other settings are saved in permanent memory and will not be affected by a complete discharge.

Best regards,
Tyler
Shearwater Research

It's Neptune and Terica. They used to be regular divers until they started using the Teric. After diving with the Teric they dove so much that Terica grew scales and, her skin developed a greenish hue that camouflaged her in the emerald green waters of Howe Sound. Now with her enhanced aquatic vision she is able to identify marine life from afar and in low light conditions and approaches without disturbing them.

Neptune was a regular dude, but, again, stumbled upon a Teric and ended up diving way too much. He developed abilities that would put Aquaman to shame. Lately he's had some issues with the Kraken not wanting to submit to his authorité. So Neptune's gonna show the Kraken, who's the boss.

Now you are just messing with us
Urban Dictionary: terica

Terica
Sweet. Very Beautiful. One of a kind. Loyal. Rare. True and Faithful to friends and that special.someone. Will give her all, sacrifice by any mean and a helpful woman. Has a beautiful soul, highly intelligent and always wants better for herself. She set morals and values for herself. High sex drive but a faithful lover and companion. A Terica is a rare women you don't see too often, angelic soul, beautiful personality, and a REAL keeper. A Terica has the entire package!!!
Terica is the only woman for me

Now you are just messing with us
Urban Dictionary: terica

Terica
Sweet. Very Beautiful. One of a kind. Loyal. Rare. True and Faithful to friends and that special.someone. Will give her all, sacrifice by any mean and a helpful woman. Has a beautiful soul, highly intelligent and always wants better for herself. She set morals and values for herself. High sex drive but a faithful lover and companion. A Terica is a rare women you don't see too often, angelic soul, beautiful personality, and a REAL keeper. A Terica has the entire package!!!
Terica is the only woman for me

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Regarding charging the Teric off the beaten track, just wondering if one of those Qi capable 5000 mAh mobile phone power packs may work? And if so, how many recharges from a fully charged power pack?
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Wireles...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00NZOGMKK

We haven't tried that specific charger, so not sure if it would work.

The best charger we tested was the Choetech model (CHOETECH Wireless Charger, Qi Certified T511), and it is quite inexpensive:

You can pair this (or the charger included with the Teric) with any portable power pack with a USB output port. The Teric battery is 560mAhr. I would derate a power pack down to about 40% of its capacity due to efficiency losses. Most portable power packs are at least 10,000mAhr (e.g Anker PowerCore 10000). So, (10000 * 0.4) / 560 = 7 charges. At 30 hours (minimum) per charge, this is at least 210 hours of portable operation.

Best regards,
Tyler
Shearwater Research

Thanks Tyler... just the info I was after, I'm now officially SOLD on the Teric to replace my Petrel 2 :cool:

On the Teric both GF99 and Surface GF are available.

There are 2 features I would like to see updated on the Perdix AI that are available on the teric.

1. Surface GF. This is a fantastic safety feature for emergency situations. GF99 is good but this is a must for emergency situations. (Page 18 of manual)
2. Deco Clear timer. This is a fantastic feature for tracking overstay on stops. Also useful for padding last stop for safety. (Page 13 of manual)

@tceon @Shearwater
What are the chances of these being in the next software release for Perdix AI?

There are 2 features I would like to see updated on the Perdix AI that are available on the teric.

1. Surface GF. This is a fantastic safety feature for emergency situations. GF99 is good but this is a must for emergency situations. (Page 18 of manual)
2. Deco Clear timer. This is a fantastic feature for tracking overstay on stops. Also useful for padding last stop for safety. (Page 13 of manual)

@tceon @Shearwater
What are the chances of these being in the next software release for Perdix AI?

Very good :) We are collecting feedback on which of the new features from the Teric prove popular, and then will be porting them back to the Petrel/Perdix/NERD 2. I cannot promise all new features will be ported back, but we'll do our best when possible. Note that hardware based features like audible beepers and vibration motors can't be added to existing units.

Best regards,
Tyler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom