St. Lawrence River temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping to get another dive in next week, anyone know what the conditions have been like recently? Warmer/colder than average and is the current still strong?

70* F on Lock 23 in Morrisburg tonight.

I got 69F at Morrisburg last night (close to gcarter). The temperature had started to drop a couple of weeks ago however has remained stable around 68-70F due to the weather we have over the last week so should still be in this range next week for you. Current is about normal for summer conditions (they are not dumping water like this spring).

What temperature can be expected at 150 feet depth towards the end of October or beginning of November? Any idea?

If I had to guess,, and I am, I would say it should be in the high 40's to mid 50's. The depth really has no relevance in the St. Lawrence due to the mixing action the shoals and varying depths cause. I have been in during the summer and the surface is 72*, and at 160' down it's maybe 71*. Gotta love the lack of thermoclines. Winter diving is the same way, ice on the surface, water temp 33* just below it. 120' down a balmy 34-35 if your lucky!

What temperature can be expected at 150 feet depth towards the end of October or beginning of November? Any idea?

That depends on your dive site. There are occasionally thermoclines on the Oconto/Vickery. For the most part though, surface temperature is bottom temperature.

Fall time temperature drop really depends on weather and night time lows in particular. Its hard to predict longterm but ajtoady's range seems right to me.

You can always check NOAA's bouy in the area: NDBC - Station ALXN6 Recent Data

Wednesday May 30 on Lock 23 - 13C/55F.

7MM w/5MM hood was up to the task.

Cornwall harbour was 56f today I did it in my beanie
LOL. I thought I was living on the edge forgoing the 7mm shorty!

Was quite comfortable without it though.

Back
Top Bottom