3-4 weeks December/January - suggestions please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I am an experienced diver (somewhere around 850 - 900 dives) and an amateur photographer.

I am trying to plan a trip for this coming December / January, Last December I went to Mexico and did a fair number of dives in Cozumel, I love the people there but I'm considering a different location this year, partly because for me, the flights to that side of the world are very expensive (I'm in South Africa).

I love wrecks, enjoy reefs, and like macro stuff (although not necessarily muck!)

I would love suggestions of which places offer great diving at that time of the year? I can stay as long or as short as needed at each location, but I don't want to move just for the sake of moving, because it adds to the costs. I will probably be travelling alone so I can't split car/taxi, accommodation etc costs with someone else, therefore budget is an issue.

I am not into nightlife - I prefer quiet spots. I wouldn't mind some exploring topside in the afternoons after morning dives - provided it isn't a significant extra expense.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Diane

Diane

I have been to the Philippines on several occasions with my hubby and twice on solo trips. Everywhere is great and a lot depends on your budget. We loved the following areas and dive shops Malapascua in Ocean Vida, , Southern Leyte in Southern Leyte Divers , Bohol...Panglao at Alona Vida and Anda with Magic Oceans Dumaguete at Liquid and Anilao at Buceo, however very cold in Anilao at that time of year ...23 or 24. Thé other areas should be fine.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Tippytoes - thanks for the input.. Brr - 23/24 is a bit cold for me - so it looks like Anilao might be out.. I will have to check temperatures carefully!

Coming from Cozumel (last year), same period (spectacular!), I opted for Puerto Galera this year.. water temp should be the same (if not warmer) than Cozumel (28°C at the surface in Dec/Jan).

Hi Diane,

If you like wrecks, then we have 'em and a lot of 'em here in Subic Bay. December and January are fantastic months for diving Subic. Cool nights with hot, but horrible hot days. Calm water and no rain. Water temp is around 80F. Subic also has a few great reefs for macro work, so you have a lot of dive site options. From here, you can also hop a seaplane to Manila/Puerto Galera or a bus. We are 1.5 hour drive to Clark Airport (there is even a direct bus from Olongapo to Clark Airport) and from Clark can get direct and cheap..cheap flights to Coron, Cebu, Bohol and El Nido.

Plenty of land based stuff to do if you need a diving break. A trip diving the Philippines can be very, very inexpensive with a little help.

If you have any questions or need any advice please let me know. I would be happy to help.

Ken

Hi Diane,
Kindly consider visiting us at Scandi Divers, we are based in a beautiful small bay called Big La Laguna. We are about twenty minutes away from the busier area of Sabang in Puerto galera. We have 40 dive sites within 15 minutes of the resort.

Kindly have a look at our website, you can also watch this quick video to see what its like underwater in Puerto Galera.
www.scandidivers.com

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Many thanks
Kris

Hi Diane,

I would highly recommend that you look into Dive Safaris. It’s a cheap way to do liveaboard....dive 4 times a day, stay at hotels each nite and also travel to different parts of the Philippines. We went on the El Nido to Coron (best for wrecks) one year and did the Savendra one from Cebu (highly recommend)....I think we did a review at one point. It’s great for a solo diver since you will be travelling with your group the whole time . Very reasonable prices for what you get.

If you want to be only in one area, consider the beautiful areas of Cabilao (our fav for easy yet cool diving), Malapascua (although harder to get to...but worth it for a true island experience). Anilao is also amazing but flying into Manila isn’t something I would recommend...especially if you don’t like big cities.

Oh...I also tend to get cold often but never had to have more than a 3 mil anywhere we went.

Hi Diane,

I would highly recommend that you look into Dive Safaris. It’s a cheap way to do liveaboard....dive 4 times a day, stay at hotels each nite and also travel to different parts of the Philippines. We went on the El Nido to Coron (best for wrecks) one year and did the Savendra one from Cebu (highly recommend)....I think we did a review at one point. It’s great for a solo diver since you will be travelling with your group the whole time . Very reasonable prices for what you get.

If you want to be only in one area, consider the beautiful areas of Cabilao (our fav for easy yet cool diving), Malapascua (although harder to get to...but worth it for a true island experience). Anilao is also amazing but flying into Manila isn’t something I would recommend...especially if you don’t like big cities.

Oh...I also tend to get cold often but never had to have more than a 3 mil anywhere we went.

Hi Bearkeley - thank you very much for this suggestion! I have had a quick look at both, and the Savedra option in particular looks like a good way of getting in a variety of sites so I've sent an enquiry and I will see if they can fit me in. The El Nido trip is pretty short so I'd have to make plans to do more in that area to justify getting there (although it could be a way of transferring to Coron!)

Anyway, thanks again! (And I will also check out Cabilao).

Diane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom