Air hog etiquette.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HP117s trim really nice

Those seem to be the most popular for sure, a lot of my friends use those exclusively

One issue to consider is whether this is local diving, and you own (or can rent) a larger tank, or whether it's a dive destination where you can rent a big tank.

A common scenario where you may see a wide mix of experience levels and lack the option for larger tanks is on an excursion from a cruise ship. About a decade or so ago I saw the air share via octopus by a guide on a cruise ship excursion out of Grand Cayman, IIRC.

Apparently some guides have gas consumption so low they can share gas with an air hog maybe 10 minutes or so, without unduly jeopardizing the dive. Considering that 1.) The air hog doesn't wait till out of air to share, so if the guide had to leave him to assist another in crisis, he should be able to surface safely, and 2.) There may be more than one staff member in the water. Giving a group a 45 minute dive instead of a 35 minute dive matters. If they're not back at the boat yet, a lot of buddy pairs, not good at navigation (or using what they know, since they're following a guide and the site is strange to them), wouldn't know how to get back to the boat.

A guide who often sends up pairs of OW newbies to surface away from the boat & require a search to find, or only provides 30-35 minute dive times, might be out of a job before long.

Richard.

Hi OP,

I was never a chronic air hog--I sucked my share of gas though. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I had the same issues as you; namely worrying about being a good group diver. I did not want to be the snicker bar in the punch bowl.

I do have HP 100 tanks. Bigger tanks are good.

May I assume you are a relatively new diver?

As others have stated regarding two issues, talk to the DM before you splash. Get his/her procedure and follow it.

Staying above the group really helps. Depth requires more psi.

Next, perfect your buoyancy and trim skills. Poor buoyancy and trim requires you to work hard which requires breathing lots of gas. Work, work, and work some more at figuring out your trim and proper weighting. Most new recreational divers are over weighted and not trim. Tank position can help with trim. Don't let the tank hang half way down your legs. Learn to rarely use your BCD. Learn how to release ALL of the air in your BC. Don't use your inflator hose to release air from you BCD as you will leave a bubble of air in your BC.

Remember, you should be horizontal with your knees bent and fins up--without finning or dog paddling. You should be able to hold that position without moving a muscle. You should be able to ascend slightly or descend slightly without using your arms or legs. (Of course, doing the above requires relatively benign conditions--being in a swirling turbulent current will make the above difficult)

As you experiment with weighting and trim, make notes in your log book. I have a matrix with every conceivable tank (AL80, Negative AL80, steel 85, HP100), all of my wetsuit configurations, and all my pony and sling bottle configurations. I use different weighting and trim for the different scenarios. For me it really makes a difference.

Before I depart on a SCUBA-great-adventure, I step up my fitness routine. I focus on increasing my vital capacity. A robust set of lungs solves lots of problems.

I am no longer an associate member of the Air Hog Club.

You many never be that person who gets back aboard with 1100, 1200, or 1300 psi, but you won't be the snicker bar in the punch bowl either. Some of us can hoover-down a tank in a few minutes if we wanted to. I am not 5'2" tall and 98 lbs. It is not really fair to compare me to a small person who has an AL80 same as I do. The world isn't fair.

May I assume that you are 6' plus and about 200 lbs +-?

I hope I presented my thoughts nicely. I am not trying to flame you.

markm

Last edited:
I like diving with big steel tanks, 133 is my favorite. The other day one of our buddies whipped out a 149 and we were all jealous
Haha that’s awesome
I get made fun of with my 149 sometimes, but I get some long ass dives in and usually once I get low on air I’m ready to call it anyways.
And unless I’m diving with people with doubles i ve never been the first one out of air

I didn't read all the reply but I did a 2 tank dive today I have double 108s and use my hp117 to top up between dives before I got to the boat I lost over 400lbs of air because my strap snapped and rolled my tank on while I was going over an over pass so I couldn't stop right away and my first dive I was feeling hyper and couldn't settle down so my second dive I had to come up after a 1/2 hr there were 3 of us so I told them both before that I would just go up the mooring line by myself and let them finish the dive

I am an air hog. For a long time I thought that I will begin to use less air as I get to be a better diver. That happened, but not enough, not even with a larger (rental) tank.

Now I carry a 6L (40 c.f.) pony. It's a PITA to travel with, though not that bad if you do it right, but at least I have 60 min dives like everyone else. For a long time I was coming up with my wife (if she was with me) or alone, not really the best practice but I did get a lot of practice shooting an SMB.

Definitely carry enough air to stay with your group.

- Bill
250 dives, 235 lbs, 6'6" tall.

I'm pretty bad on air. I've improved to the point where I'm not always the first guy up but... I've found the thing to do is simply tell the boat people before you splash. Either have a buddy that's prepared to end the dive with you or arrange to have your buddy switch to solo, follow the dm, or do a 3 way dive. It's never been a big deal, and even if you're bad on air you shouldn't be air sharing. IMO that indicates that you're bad on air and you've committed the sin of not monitoring your gas supply. If you're monitoring you do what you should always do when low on air.. head up towards the safety stop and boat. The only question really is what your buddy must do.

I've spent considerable time and effort improving my SAC, and now I think I'm just on the high side of normal. Also, when diving locally (Florida) I bring my own larger tanks. Do these things, for sure.. but if you get low early then end the dive.

As with so many questions people have early into diving, communication is the answer. If you're diving with a divemaster, explain the situation. If you're not, still explain the situation to the boat people. Definitely explain the situation to your buddy. This way, nobody involved will be surprised or concerned when you surface before everyone else and don't have a buddy.

It's never been a big deal, and even if you're bad on air you shouldn't be air sharing. IMO that indicates that you're bad on air and you've committed the sin of not monitoring your gas supply.

I assume you mean sharing with the DM. I agree his/her extra gas is for emergencies. That said, folks share my gas quite often. If I'm diving with divers I know and we're doing a "group drift" (and it's appropriate) I'll offer before we splash just in case anyone is feeling a bit apprehensive (btw anxiety kills air consumption). The trick is not to wait until you're low. I tell folks when they get to 1000 psi to drop on by for a "sip" if there is still time left on the dive. That way they still have plenty of gas to finish up on their own. :)

My buddy on a recent trip was the air hog we speak of. He opted for a 15L tank instead of a 12L tank. Even that was not enough and we we were still prematurely surfacing due to his air consumption. At the end, the DM told him to stay slightly shallower than everyone else if conditions were favorable to do this. They ended up having a backup DM come with us so that he could surface with the backup DM instead of cutting my dives short. This was very appreciated, especially when conditions were not favorable for him to ascend on his own. (We were previously sending him up on his own to the inflatable that was tracking us - good viz, light current if any, we were all relatively shallow.)

If you are an air hog, dive shallower than than your buddy / group.

I was on a recent dive along a coral wall with an instabuddy air hog in our dive group with my wife and I and a DM. The Instabuddy dived along the bottom of the wall (18M, 60ft) looking at all the dead coral fallen on the sea floor. o_O

My wife and I dived at about 12M, 40ft looking at all the beautiful coral and sea life. The DM split the difference and dived a little closer to the air hog.

After 30 mins the instabuddy signaled low air and he and the DM surfaced. My wife and I continued for another 30 mins or so drifting along the wall enjoying our dive.

When we got on the boat the instabuddy was telling us how the dive was crap and he didn't see much sea life and the coral was all dead. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom