AquaLung Mikron question (cold water capability)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hhmoore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased a Mikron as part of a package after completing my OWC. I've had no complaints; but after being told that I couldn't use it in an upcoming course because it wasn't rated for the conditions in which we'd be diving, I'm starting to consider another purchase.
At the heart of it - it turns out the Mikron is rated for 50 degrees (F), and up; and during the deep dives, water temperatures will be in the 40s. I've already been in that range a couple of times; but at only about half the depth. I understand the position of the instructor, and have secured another regulator for the course...but I find myself wondering if the Mikron will meet my needs for local diving. (I did ask if it would be acceptable for local conditions when considering the purchase options, and was told that it should be fine into the 40s.)
Has anybody here experienced cold related issues with a Mikron? What were the conditions, and what happened? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(Worse case - I put off a couple of dives that I wanted to do this summer, and get a second regulator with better cold water capability before next spring - I just don't want to add that expense right now)

*edited to add - I have HP100s, if that factors into this*

Last edited:
I have a Mikron and it was my original primary reg for about 4 months. While the Mikron breaths 'well' for its price and is a lovely travel reg for its small size, it is no where close to as dry and easy breathing as the Aqualung Legend LX or Scubapro Mk17s or Mk25s. I currently dive a legend LX for my single-tank setup and a triplet of Mk17's on my doubles/deco setup. For value, the MK17 EVO with a G260 2nd stage is a hardy setup (cold water rated, environmentally sealed) that breaths very well at all depths.

Remember that the rate of breathing has a big impact on freeze issues. The Mikron might be OK in nominal conditions - but add an out-of-air diver sucking on your octo in a near panic and it might not work so well below 50F.

If your anticipating deep, cold dives I would upgrade sooner rather than later.

I was looking at a couple of Scubapro options...but the pressure rating left me uncertain (not sure if they weren't "rated" for the HP tanks, or just not at cold temps).
I think the mikron will work for most of what I'm likely to do around here... but I think 35-40 degrees (f) at about 105ft might be too much to ask of it. (One of the dives I wanted to do this summer was the Radeau)

just out of curiosity being a fellow NY'er, what course are you taking and with who?

The reg is fine for cold water. Tune the intermediate pressure down to 125psi and dive with cold water protocols (don't turn the tank valve on into you are in the water, do not use the purge button to clear, your first breath needs to be an exhalation on the surface, if you can let the 1st and second stage sit below the water line to cool down before descending, after turning the tank valve on your breath will be underwater). I've brought students to Clear Lake, Sisters Oregon to dive in 40°F water and they didn't get free-flows... Have fun!

Last edited:
@hammet My OW was with a padi shop in Albany (Seguin's), and I did nitrox with a tdi/sdi shop further north (Adirondack). That shop is doing underwater navigation, deep, and night courses over a weekend in Dutch Springs. I'll be slipping peak performance buoyancy in before that with a new padi shop in Glens Falls (Water Horse Adventures) to hopefully work out some of the kinks.
I know - I'm jumping shops quite a bit... some of that is simply a matter a scheduling

@diverintheflesh thanks for the info. I have no idea how to tune the intermediate pressure down to 125 psi; but I'll do some looking. (At this point in time, my brain isn't quite awake yet... and I'm reading your post in a fog - trying to figure out how I'm going to keep the first stage below the water line to cool down before turning it on. Funny thing is, the first ("obvious") method that popped into my head was to sink my BC (in a controlled manner) and put it on underwater. At least I'd be putting that OW skill to use :thumb:

Last edited:
@diverintheflesh thanks for the info. I have no idea how to tune the intermediate pressure down to 125 psi; but I'll do some looking. (At this point in time, my brain isn't quite awake yet... and I'm reading your post in a fog - trying to figure out how I'm going to keep the first stage below the water line to cool down before turning it on. Funny thing is, the first ("obvious") method that popped into my head was to sink my BC (in a controlled manner) and put it on underwater. At least I'd be putting that OW skill to use :thumb:

I was thinking that it wasn't environmentally sealed since the Mikron would probably be an easy travel reg, but since it is (I just checked), you shouldn't adjust the IP and it will be fine in cold water with no adjustments at all.

As far as below the waterline, just let the reg lay on your side when you get into the water. If you do a shore dive, your dive buddy will turn on the tank valve. If you are doing a boat dive, turn the valve on once you're ready to put the BCD on. Orally inflate your BCD, take a breath from the open air, put the reg in your mouth and step in as you usually do. Try to avoid taking a breath on the reg until you are ready to descend.

I was looking at a couple of Scubapro options...but the pressure rating left me uncertain (not sure if they weren't "rated" for the HP tanks, or just not at cold temps).
I think the mikron will work for most of what I'm likely to do around here... but I think 35-40 degrees (f) at about 105ft might be too much to ask of it. (One of the dives I wanted to do this summer was the Radeau)

The ScubaPro regs will have no issues with HP tanks. I ran the yoke version on my HP100's at 3500+ PSI and as long as the tank o-ring was healthy there were no leaks. A total non-issue if you go DIN. You can convert the ScubaPro regs to DIN easily and cheaply if you switch later. mk17's and mk25's are two of the most common regs in tech setups because of their overall reliability in all conditions and 3800PSI fills are pretty common in cave country so high pressure isn't an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom