What to Log ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently had a problem with my Shearwater Perdix, and I sent it in. To fix it, they said they would have to erase the log, and they wanted to know if I could live with that. I assured them it would be OK.

If the house burns down, I'll still have my records.

If my house burns down and takes my log book with it, I will be juat like all the people who don't log dives.

No telling what will happen, one log went down with the boat, and the one I started, many years later, was probably burned by my ex after a messy divorce. After I picked up my first computer decades later, I'm trying again, hope springs eternal.

Bob

Thanks for all the feed back...But I River Dive and there Generally not very deep and there is a lot of surface intervals...So when I'm At home in Missouri I River and Quarrt Dive. Then I usallus make 2-3 Trips to Florida and the Keys to Dive as well . Should I keep three log. Or one for salt and one for fresh? Just trying to get some good ideas from everyone who has been there Done that . Thanks again Everyone

Thanks for all the feed back...But I River Dive and there Generally not very deep and there is a lot of surface intervals...So when I'm At home in Missouri I River and Quarrt Dive. Then I usallus make 2-3 Trips to Florida and the Keys to Dive as well . Should I keep three log. Or one for salt and one for fresh? Just trying to get some good ideas from everyone who has been there Done that . Thanks again Everyone

Take what different people have said and pick out the bits that you find make the most sense to you and the types of diving you do. I would suggest that keeping a single log would be much easier to handle than trying to seperate things into multiple logs. I personally choose to use a paper log but if you’re wanting to easily seperate between fresh and salt or different sites some form of digital log could work really well. Then you can tag each dive with multiple tags and search through or seperate them that way.

In essence do what works best for you. If you can find a system that works and use it consistently over your diving career you’ll have a great resource to remember your dives and see your progress.

. I personally choose to use a paper log but if you’re wanting to easily seperate between fresh and salt or different sites some form of digital log could work really well. Then you can tag each dive with multiple tags and search through or seperate them that way.

Exactly. Here's my post from the other thread on this topic, when someone mentioned keeping separate logs for different types of diving:

That sounds complex, maintaining different databases. Wouldn't it be better to just log all your dives in the same database, and then if you want to be able to sort out separate types of dives use metadata? Like a tag for a training dive or something? What do you do if some dives in the future that overlap categories - like if you have a fun dive in a lake, or a training dive at a resort? Obviously, this is just a conversation, we all do whatever we like with our logs, and if this works well for you, that's great. But I like having all of my dives accessible and searchable, and available to me everywhere (the MacDive log is synced with the app on my phone).

For example, I have three CCR tags: CCR_Training, CCR_Demo and CCR_JJ. If I were, for example, to buy a different rebreather someday, I would just add a tag for that. So now, when I want to see how many hours I have on the JJ outside of training, I just search for CCR_JJ, and the number appears in the bottom of the screen. If I wanted to see the total including training, then I would just search for CCR_Training and CCR_JJ. If I trained on another unit, I would make another tag for that and then just edit the tags so that the previous CCR_Training tags became CCR_Training_JJ, to keep it consistent...

Awesome feedback everybody.. thank you so much now I believe I have the advice I need to proceed with how I will log my Dives.. again thanks to everyone for your opinions and thoughts

Others have made excellent recommendations. I use Mac-Dive as well, and it is great to be able to look at previous dives for whatever. Nick's customer service may be better than Shearwater's. I have really enjoyed looking back at my comments from some of the first dives I've done vs more recent dives on the same locations. If you told me, in 1994, after a 25 minute runtime on a shipwreck in Lake Superior, that I would return 18yrs later on CCR and do a 50 minute bottom time on the same wreck , I would have told you that you were crazy.
I also have a few very short dives logged that may be dives I thumbed. One, in particular, I had a piece of sofnolime in the OPV on my KISS Classic. I realized there was a problem and thumbed the dive. Those are nice reminders when you see that dive, and the number of dives you have done after making a good decision. Log whatever you want, but it is very difficult to go back and log things you didn't write down the first time. I dump my Petrel to my phone or laptop shortly after the dive and jot down some comments. I do that more now, because as I've gone back through my log, I get a little bummed when I didn't write something 15 years ago.

Another vote for MacDive - I've got the iPhone version which works much better for my Suunto Eon Core than Suunto's own app. That said I keep all my real logs on paper. By "Real" I mean the ones I refer back to. I just like paper for that.

And my collection of DiveOperator stamps would really mess up my iPhone screen :)

Nick's customer service may be better than Shearwater's.

Regular readers of this forum realize that there is NO higher praise than that, and it is deserved. Nick is awesome - I have emailed him on a weekend night and he has replied within a half hour with a solution or an update! It's a great program, and so nice to have it synced with my phone.

Here's one cool thing that you can do with a digital log. I do a dive on a local wreck. That night, I go to some web site and find a long writeup about the history of the ship and how to best dive it, wreck drawings, etc... I cut and paste it into the comment section (with appropriate attribution, of course!).

Five years later we end up on that wreck again (maybe not planned, often the destination changes based on conditions). I pull out my phone and I have all of that information right there, with no need for cell service and Internet access.

And my collection of DiveOperator stamps would really mess up my iPhone screen :)

1) get the stamp on a piece of scrap paper

2) take a pic of it with your phone

3) add that pic to your dive log...!

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom