Someone school me on BP/W, specifically for kids.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aiian

Registered
Reaction score
My twelve year old son is just about finished up with his cert. class and it's just about time to gear up.

Most of the advice I've found online is to set him up with a BP/W that he can grow into/with.

Trouble is I know nothing about the process of putting BP/W systems together.

Are they any go-to articles or videos I can look up?

Dive rite had a youth program a long time ago. Not sure if they still have it or not but worth looking for.

BP&W are a bit expensive for a 12 year old. You dont know how big hes gonna get and you dont want to start out with one that is way too big for him to grow into. If you get one that fits now it will be too small in a year or so maybe. If i were you i would get a good used BC or an inexpensive new one. Maybe just get him a used back inflation BC for now see if he likes back inflation. Let him grow and then get the BP&W so you only buy one.

the dive rite system just gives longer shoulder pads on a transpac/transplate. Not a huge thing.

@aiian how tall is he now and how tall are you expecting him to be?

basically, IMO you buy him a stainless backplate, rig up a simple one-piece harness as below. Leave about a foot of extra length on the webbing and if/when he outgrows the webbing, you buy another $10 worth of webbing and rethread. Assuming he's at least 5'4", and you don't expect him to get over about 6'3", there's no reason for him to need anything other than webbing
Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions | Dive Gear Express®

Why do you think he needs a BP/W right off the bat? Just because you read a bunch of stuff online doesn’t necessarily mean it would be the best option at this point in time.
My suggestion would be to buy used BC’s on eBay or CL. There is usually a lot of smaller gear for sale because of exactly what you are setting up for: young divers growing out of their gear and trading up.
This type of used gear can be had for pennies on the dollar, and most of the time it’s very lightly used.
When he outgrows his first used BC, put it right back on eBay and buy another used BC a size up. Keep doing this until he grows up. You will save a ton of money, and by the time he grows up close to where he will level off, then spring for the BP/W.

DSS - Deep Sea Supply sells a short plate that might be not as big on him and still usable till he gets tall. The company is currently relocating to NV though but you might be able to find one thru a dealer.

Later you could switch it to a long plate but it would be fairly expensive.IIRC the plates are just under $200

Look at the Zeagle line also - some of their products are modular using their PFS system so you can change whole sections of the harness like the shoulders etc. as he grows into them.

Something like a Zeagle Exoress Tech has a soft backplate - the same one is used no matter what the size within a range. I believe the Trans-Pac is similar - either may be the only bc he ever needs.

Zeagle also sells a Ranger Jr. which he will eventually grow out of. New they're $365 - Zeagle Ranger JR Youth BC

Last edited:
I think I might just bite the bullet and get the Ranger Jr., LP sells it in a package with other ‘compact’ gear.

I’m guessing going the package route will save me he hassle of acquiring everything else in the kit.

I realize he’ll outgrow it but hopefully his little sister will show some interest in the hobby as well.

Get a standard size BP, i know some girls in that size range, or even smaller, who uses standard size and it works just fine.

Then he can use it till he is about 6'3" or 6'4"

Like T-bone said, he just need to adjust and maybe change webbing when he get taller.

Back
Top Bottom