Driving to altitude after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUMBIAMAN

Registered
Reaction score
The information I have found on the topic is rather inconclusive, but what would be the best approach in this diving scenario:

1. Saturday, two tanks 50 min, 20 mts. Finishing time approx. 2 pm.
  2. Sunday, two tanks 50 min, 20 mts. Finishing time approx.. 2 pm.
  3. Mexico City is at 2300 mts over sea level.
  4. Driving from sea level takes 3-5 hrs. with a peak at 3000 mts.

Is it safe to travel on Sunday back home?

Per other posts on the subject, DAN's recommendation for flying or ascending to altitude assumes an elevation gain greater than 2,000 feet. You will be over 9,000 feet, which is like flying commercially in a pressurized cabin.

@boulderjohn did a good post about altitude diving so it might be worth having a discussion with him.

I regularly do multiple dives and drive to an altitude of around 5500 feet. So does everyone else who dives out here. I've never known of anyone having a problem. However it's half the altitude you are talking about.

We went diving in Kona but were staying in Hilo, Hawai'i and the trip back is over 8000 feet above sea level so, due to the lack of any definite information, we stayed overnight in Kona. It sure seems like it should be possible to have some kind of decompression stops along the way.

treat the dives on sunday as altitude dives by increasing the depth you use for planning from 20m to 25m or 30m depending on how long before you hit the 3000m peak on the drive.

How safe/comforatble is it/you to drive through the night? Let's say you start out past 4 pm and take 8-10 hours instead of 3-5?

The information I have found on the topic is rather inconclusive, but what would be the best approach in this diving scenario:

1. Saturday, two tanks 50 min, 20 mts. Finishing time approx. 2 pm.
  2. Sunday, two tanks 50 min, 20 mts. Finishing time approx.. 2 pm.
  3. Mexico City is at 2300 mts over sea level.
  4. Driving from sea level takes 3-5 hrs. with a peak at 3000 mts.

Is it safe to travel on Sunday back home?
BSAC have a set of altitude/atmospheric pressure tables, see here.

Your diving at sea level was most likely to be at level 1.

Saturday’s diving, even with mandatory deco stops can be discounted.

Sunday’s diving:
Setting off within 4 hours of surfacing is outside the tables.
After 4 hours you can set off home, when home you will have another 9 hours to fully degas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom