Someone school me on BP/W, specifically for kids.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP&W are a bit expensive for a 12 year old. You dont know how big hes gonna get and you dont want to start out with one that is way too big for him to grow into. If you get one that fits now it will be too small in a year or so maybe. If i were you i would get a good used BC or an inexpensive new one. Maybe just get him a used back inflation BC for now see if he likes back inflation. Let him grow and then get the BP&W so you only buy one.

o_O Not to sound patronizing but do you know what a BP/W is? Bp/w is about the least expensive BC you can purchase. Here you go DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package . As he grows all you need to replace is the webbing, under $20.

I think I might just bite the bullet and get the Ranger Jr., LP sells it in a package with other ‘compact’ gear.

I’m guessing going the package route will save me he hassle of acquiring everything else in the kit.

I realize he’ll outgrow it but hopefully his little sister will show some interest in the hobby as well.
I think that's a decent package for the money. Since the Jr, uses their PFS system - it will take longer for him to outgrow it if you want to change the panels later as needed. It also has the BX inflator so flushing is done with a garden hose.

And the Ripcord is an easy way to drop both weight pockets at once in an emergency. Even nicer is that they load from the top so you can also unload weights and hand them up while in the water - at 12 it may make sense to lighten his load while re-boarding.

Ranger's are tough also - I've had mine about a decade. It's a little sun faded but everything still works.It trims out nicely when horizontal also.

IDK Cressi all that well but it's a diaphragm reg with 2 HP ports in case you later add an AI computer - can still keep the gauges as a backup. Should you occasionally dive cold - the diaphragm will function better in lower temperatures since all the components are behind it.

I have a set of mini-gauges - I like them since they're smaller but still very readable.

Last edited:
A backplate and wing combination is the most sensible, economical solution for your child. He can use the plate, wing, and hardware forever; you’ll simply need to buy new webbing as he grows, as previous posters have stated. Far less wasteful, and much cheaper in the long run. There is a very nice picture of exactly what you’re looking in this thread, which references an old post on the now (largely defunct) Deco Stop forum: bp/w for 12 year old new diver?

For what it is worth, I myself use the exact same Oxycheq 18lb wing for single tank warm water diving, and a DSS “short” backplate. Works like a dream.

I have a daughter that learned how to dive at 8 years old. My wife and I owned a dive store an daughter convinced my of my instructor staff members to teach her how to dive. When it came time to get her equipment I called Tobin at DSS and discussed my options for a BP/wing. Why BP/wing, because both mom and dad dive with that system and we both decided that it is the only way to go for my daughter. She used that system till she outgrew the bp. She now uses a full size BP/ wing. The OP never mentioned what he dove with so my story is different than his situation. My daughter was surrounded by divers who used BP/wings and were in transition to get a BP/wing. It makes a difference who your son will be diving with. There is a learning curve but once you get it, your preference with stay with a BP/wing. A mentor who is a BP/wing diver would really help.

My wife and I dive BP/W. So when my daughter age 13 was learning, I bought her a "small" BP/W from DSS.

In a 3 mm she needed no extra weight and coasted through certification. She was slightly leg heavy on her certification dives with an AL80 but not bad trim wise.

Post-cert I switched her to an AL63 and she had nearly perfect trim.

On her 7th dive, another couple (in BP/W - who saw her on dives 5-6) chartered a private boat and invited us along. They loved that I trained her in a BP/W and were comfortable with her skills even though she was new. :wink:

I have zero regrets.

I think I might just bite the bullet and get the Ranger Jr., LP sells it in a package with other ‘compact’ gear.
I’m guessing going the package route will save me he hassle of acquiring everything else in the kit.
I realize he’ll outgrow it but hopefully his little sister will show some interest in the hobby as well.

Hey there, last Spring we all had a nice discussion on the Zeagle Express Tech .You may want to search the forums on it. In Short, I dive with a Ranger for several years now, but last summer I want something lighter to travel.THe Zeagle Express Tech is EXTREMLY Customizable and ADUJESTABLE. A number of instructors here use it as their go to Instruction BCD as well. You can put it on my 5'2" 110 lbs. daughter, or a 6'2" 300lbs man.

The Zeagle Tech Express ended up as my choice. I still use my Ranger for Spear fishing, but find myself using the Express Tech more often, just over 60 dives in the last year on it alone. You can general find it for Under $400 new, or I have seen them on Ebay for Under $200.

Good luck....

He hasn't been in the water with it yet, but I picked up a small Halcyon plate and an 18lb Oxycheq donut wing for my son. I might be more excited about it than he is right now.

Looks like a day late but someone posted a small freedom plate for sale. That’s what my 12 yo uses and it almost seems custom made to fit.

I dunno, I would have some doubts about starting out a kid with a back wing as they have a tendency to hold you face-down in the water when inflated at the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom