The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did leaving it in the soak tank all night make it stay in dive mode and use up the battery faster?

I don't think so. I had turned the Teric off when I took it off my wrist. I looked at it very briefly on the bottom of my laundry sink and it hadn't turned on from sensing water depth. I have a sense it was about 60% when I put it in the rinse at 2300 and 56% when I took it out at 0600, but I don't remember exactly when I saw that 60% battery...sometime late in the evening in the drive back from Fort Lauderdale or right as I started rinsing gear.

@Shearwater A couple of Teric newbie questions.

The manual says turn AI off when you're not using it because it's using @25% more power searching for comms. Does it keep searching for comms when in Watch mode if AI is "on"?

With the watch on my wrist, I have never seen the display go blank. But if I take the Teric off in Watch mode and leave it sitting somewhere, in some fairly short amount of time the display turns off. I looked in the Operating Instructions Rev A. but found no mention of this watch mode 'feature'. What kind of sorcery is this? Is there an accelerometer on the chipset? By the way, I like the fact that the display doesn't turn off on my wrist. I'm always having to flick my wrist awkwardly with my Android Wear watch.

@Shearwater A couple of Teric newbie questions.
The manual says turn AI off when you're not using it because it's using @25% more power searching for comms. Does it keep searching for comms when in Watch mode if AI is "on"?

In watch mode AI is completely disabled and will not consume additional power.

@Shearwater
With the watch on my wrist, I have never seen the display go blank. But if I take the Teric off in Watch mode and leave it sitting somewhere, in some fairly short amount of time the display turns off. I looked in the Operating Instructions Rev A. but found no mention of this watch mode 'feature'. What kind of sorcery is this? Is there an accelerometer on the chipset? By the way, I like the fact that the display doesn't turn off on my wrist. I'm always having to flick my wrist awkwardly with my Android Wear watch.

Yes, you guessed it right. There is an accelerometer that detects motion. When being worn the Teric will stay on 100% of the time, although it can be manually turned-off. Without any motion, the Teric will shut down after 20 minutes. I believe it also shuts down after 16 hours of no button presses, even if detecting motion.

With the display on 100% of the time in watch mode, the battery last about 50 hours on high brightness. In dive mode, it is about the same, UNLESS the compass is being displayed. We refresh the screen much faster when the compass is being displayed, which makes for a very smooth compass. This drops the battery life to about 30 hours. Note that if the compass is turned on, but not being displayed, then this extra power is not used.

Best regards,
Tyler
Shearwater Research

With the display on 100% of the time in watch mode, the battery last about 50 hours on high brightness. In dive mode, it is about the same, UNLESS the compass is being displayed. We refresh the screen much faster when the compass is being displayed, which makes for a very smooth compass. This drops the battery life to about 30 hours. Note that if the compass is turned on, but not being displayed, then this extra power is not used.

@tcoen What about if the compass is on bezel mode wherein only the marker indicator light swings around the bezel but the full compass is not displayed? Will it give the 50 hour batt life or the 30 hour?

@tcoen What about if the compass is on bezel mode wherein only the marker indicator light swings around the bezel but the full compass is not displayed? Will it give the 50 hour batt life or the 30 hour?
It will still consume power at the higher rate. The smooth movement of the marker requires higher refresh rates.

Cheers

Just picked up mine - very impressed with the build quality, display and intuitive controls!
i-C7cbXTB-L.jpg

Hi @Shearwater, few questions:

1. Is it possible to have GF99 and Surface GF to be combined into 1 display item similar to the combined TX/GTR? This can then be added to the customizable info screen.
Currently, the GF99 info screen with SurfGF is 6 presses (steps) away and times out in 10 sec. I monitor GF99 when on Deco (what else can you do :) ) and it would be valuable to also see the SurfGF.

2. In the current UI, the Compass Info Screen is 3 presses (steps) away. However, when the Compass Info Screen is displayed on the Info Row (3rd row), you can’t “Mark” a heading. You have to go to menu —> dive tools —> compass —> Mark heading —> press return button to go back to home screen. Would be nice to also be able to Mark a heading while on the Compass info screen or using the floating magnetic north dot to minimize key presses. This assumes that the Func button is already reserved for another item, say stopwatch.

3. Just confirming that the Teric can’t use the SW Desktop on the Mac? Only SW Cloud? I currently use the SW Desktop for the Petrel. Is it being phased out?

4. For long term Battery Health, is fast charging harmful?

Overall, the Teric is super impressive. Taking it out for it’s first dive tomorrow. I’m also able to recharge it with a small 3rd party 10000mah powerbank that is also a combo wireless charger.

The screen on the Teric is fantastic. Due to the OLED's self-illuminating pixels, the background is pure, inky black. The contrast ratio is far better than the Perdix LED LCD screen - especially for off-access viewing or at night (both on High brightness):

i-tdvRTXD-M.jpg

i-JTnrqqC-M.jpg

The Theme display colors such as Sunlight, Night and Predator Mode are fantastic too (iPhone can't capture it well - will get pics on my DSLR tomorrow). Me thinks we need a Perdix 2 with an OLED display!:wink:

EDIT - I’ll add that I still love the Perdix screen size, layout and readability, but the OLED screen tech is just better.

Last edited:
Aaargh! Want! Want! Question: how is it for freediving? How shallow does it activate a dive? Can it be used for pool apnea training? What does it show on the surface interval? How many free dives are shown on the watch itself? What are the freediving specific features?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom