• XS Scuba

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • DSS

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m buying my first DSMB and upcoming is also GUE Fundamentals so I need the best one. I don’t know which I should choose as the shops near me don’t have all these in stock.

I have read that closed ones are best.

Top ones I have found:
1. Halcyon Slim Big SMB 1.8m / 6ft - for me it will cost 145€(160$) but I’ve read in a lot of places it’s the best. Price is disgraceful though.

2. Halcyon Big SMB 1.8m/6ft almost as much as Slim version 145€ also

3. AP Self Sealing SMB 45€ this isn’t as thin as halcyon and doesn’t have inflation valve but much cheaper and is always sold out in my lds

4. AP Self Sealing SMB with easifill adapter - 76€ I think this is the same as halcyon version but is much cheaper, doesn’t have reflective tape, or flexi light space at top and isn’t as thin.

Price is a factor but if you guys say it’s worth it I’ll get the halcyon one even though it’s bloody €&¥$£!!

Is it better to have a thinner one as it’s easier to stow and inflate? I’ve also heard that the thinner ones aren’t as easy to see in rough seas? Pros, cons of width?

Also, should I get one with an inflation valve? As the ones without are half the price?

Why is the halcyon smb so expensive and is it worth it?

Please tell us your thoughts and experiences and why I should go for which one.

@Wookie @boulderjohn @tbone1004 I know you guys have a lot of invaluable experience especially @Wookie with his diving charter business. Appreciate it if you could give us your insights!

Thanks

First, you don't need the "best" because there isn't one that is the "best".

there are two types of marker buoys IMO.

You want a 1m skinny one like Deep Sea Supplys for shooting to the surface and marking your position while you're under. Closed, OPV, and solas tape are my requirements for that one. You can shoot it easily from 5m on a safety or final deco stop *which you can't do with a 2m version*, and it's unobtrusive. I like the coin dump on the DSS because it keeps it super flat.

If you are doing a lot of big open ocean diving with high currents, then you'll also want one that is at least 2m and closed. Big enough that you can use as a surface flotation device, can get up high for long distance search, can hang strobe on it, etc. I like these with a big loop in the bottom that you can step on. You can also use it to "hang" from.

I don't like open bottom buoys for a myriad of reasons. Only useful for inflation from a second stage, which I don't like anyway outside of a lift bag. The duck bill is not something I think is a selling point which rules out all of AP's

IMO there is nothing special about the Halcyons, but they are nice. I have yet to find one better than the one @cool_hardware52 has made for the small ones. That to me is truly the best one out there.

Now, if you want a big honkin one, just get a cheap one that is sealed and ideally has a small 1" d-ring on the top so you can clip a strobe up there.

First, you don't need the "best" because there isn't one that is the "best".

there are two types of marker buoys IMO.

You want a 1m skinny one like Deep Sea Supplys for shooting to the surface and marking your position while you're under. Closed, OPV, and solas tape are my requirements for that one. You can shoot it easily from 5m on a safety or final deco stop *which you can't do with a 2m version*, and it's unobtrusive. I like the coin dump on the DSS because it keeps it super flat.

If you are doing a lot of big open ocean diving with high currents, then you'll also want one that is at least 2m and closed. Big enough that you can use as a surface flotation device, can get up high for long distance search, can hang strobe on it, etc. I like these with a big loop in the bottom that you can step on. You can also use it to "hang" from.

I don't like open bottom buoys for a myriad of reasons. Only useful for inflation from a second stage, which I don't like anyway outside of a lift bag. The duck bill is not something I think is a selling point which rules out all of AP's

IMO there is nothing special about the Halcyons, but they are nice. I have yet to find one better than the one @cool_hardware52 has made for the small ones. That to me is truly the best one out there.

Now, if you want a big honkin one, just get a cheap one that is sealed and ideally has a small 1" d-ring on the top so you can clip a strobe up there.
When I said the best, I was referring to the best in my situation, in my location which is Ireland rough cold water diving.

DSS is definitely not an option as they’re store is closed for 6 months and I need to have this packed in my bag in less than a week.

AP Duckbill?

Last edited:
I’m buying my first DSMB and upcoming is also GUE Fundamentals so I need the best one. I don’t know which I should choose as the shops near me don’t have all these in stock.

I have read that closed ones are best.

Top ones I have found:
1. Halcyon Slim Big SMB 1.8m / 6ft - for me it will cost 145€(160$) but I’ve read in a lot of places it’s the best. Price is disgraceful though.

2. Halcyon Big SMB 1.8m/6ft almost as much as Slim version 145€ also

3. AP Self Sealing SMB 45€ this isn’t as thin as halcyon and doesn’t have inflation valve but much cheaper and is always sold out in my lds

4. AP Self Sealing SMB with easifill adapter - 76€ I think this is the same as halcyon version but is much cheaper, doesn’t have reflective tape, or flexi light space at top and isn’t as thin.

Price is a factor but if you guys say it’s worth it I’ll get the halcyon one even though it’s bloody €&¥$£!!

Is it better to have a thinner one as it’s easier to stow and inflate? I’ve also heard that the thinner ones aren’t as easy to see in rough seas? Pros, cons of width?

Also, should I get one with an inflation valve? As the ones without are half the price?

Why is the halcyon smb so expensive and is it worth it?

Please tell us your thoughts and experiences and why I should go for which one.

@Wookie @boulderjohn @tbone1004 I know you guys have a lot of invaluable experience especially @Wookie with his diving charter business. Appreciate it if you could give us your insights!

Thanks

Take a look at this video

The DSMB is a generic 6 footer, closed system with an LP inflate. In fact, it's probably the very same DSMB you can buy stamped with brand name for 5 times the price.

Key features are:
- closed system
- LP/oral inflate
- OPV
- 6 foot length

That's all you're really looking for.

R..

I got this one not too long ago, and have only fired it off a handful of times. I like the fill from the bottom. I have not been able to get air out of it without using the dump or oral inflator.

New! 6ft Orange SMB

@EireDiver606 I can't stand the open bottom ones because they tend to grab a bunch of water if they fall over and are annoying to dewater. I'd just get a cheap generic 3-6ft one if you don't plan on using the small ones to tell the boat things if shooting from shallow depths. Just grab a fully closed one, 6 ish ft tall, solas tap up top *radar detecting*. I prefer to orally inflate. If you're deep enough *10m or deeper* it's really not that hard

I can't stand the open bottom ones because they tend to grab a bunch of water if they fall over and are annoying to dewater.

The lead weights on the one I bought help keep the bottom "upright' in the water. I squeeze out about a couple of ounces of water from it when I roll it back up. It all comes out of the oral inflator when I roll it up. There might be more water as the boat captain has deflated it for me before I enter the boat. I will need to check on my next trip. With 40 lbs of lift, you need to have good control of the spool.

My GUE instructor has told me that halcyon ones are the best for several reasons but that I should until after the course to choose and he will go over pros/cons and reasons behind it. He also said it’s worth the extra cash.

I’ll wait until after course, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom