Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done and done, put another 282 in the water yesterday, leaked right away. So that does it for me, not reliable, leaked in the thumb. Brand new out of the box. Pulled them off soon as a got home.

Then put on a set of 620's I had. At least they are reliable. More dexterity than 660.

I'd like to give the 720 some more time, but the water is too cold at the moment. And the glove is too small to get in enough insulation. Maybe when it gets warmer, I'll throw a set back on. Too bad, they do not run the same size as the rest of the gloves, just from seajays experience, I'd roll with them.

Last edited:
xerotherm_gloves.png

I've been using the 4th Element Xerotherm gloves XL and they fit just fine in the 720s.

I'm basing my opinion on the sizing from the one pair of 720's I bought online. They are xxl and seem to be small when compared to my other showa gloves.

Is it possible they are mislabled or similar or do they truly run that small. I can park a car in my 660, 620, and 282. But my hand is all that fits in the 720 and maybe room for a thin liner. I don't have that big of a hand.

They are smaller than the 660s and 620s but they stretch, unlike the PVC gloves. That was the problem I had. I liked the PVC gloves but they were too short and would pop off when I reached out for something like a dive ladder. Other 14" gloves had a seam which caused the gloves to leak. The 720s have been exactly what I was looking for.

That's interesting... You're finding the 720s are a different size than, say, the 620s or the 660s, even when they're labeled the same size?

I haven't noticed that they're sized - or shaped - any different than the 660s I used to dive.

Now that you mention it, yes I suppose that there is a slight difference... But since the 720s are stretchier, I just didn't notice it. Also - since the 720s are naturally warmer than the 660s, I chose not to wear glove liners inside the 720s, even down into the 30-degree water temps. That may be why I haven't noticed a difference in sizing/shape between the 720s and the 660s.

Now that you mention it, I'm wondering if you truly have a set of 720s too. Are you sure you don't have a latex glove? Can you send a picture? Another indicator is that you're not finding the 720s to be naturally warmer than PVC - and that's a pretty noticeable feature, in my opinion.

Also - for what it's worth - I, too, am a big fan of those 4thE Xerotherm glove liners... When I actually do use glove liners.

4thE's original "G1" glove liners are a second favorite, but I like the Xerotherms better. Super warm and comfy and stretchy! No problems using them in a 720... Although I do upsize to an XXL glove whenever I use glove liners. Without them, I prefer size XL.

...And I do have pretty big hands. About 9.5" circumference when measured.

Post a pic of your 720s. I bet they sent you the wrong gloves, just based on what you're saying.

FYI: You can get a few pairs of 720s for free direct from SHOWA by calling 800-241-0323 and asking for them. :) You're welcome. :)

Seajay (@Deep South Divers),

I just got the Ultima's installed when I went up to Canada last week and after years of frustration with the Antares leaking all the time I switched over and now have 8 dives with them and not a single leak. I'll be in a drysuit because I teach in a quarry for a month or so more.

I appreciate the tip on contacting Showa - I requested a 720 sample today and look forward to testing them when they get in. I am writing a review for my site on these, I wish I had seen them 2 years ago when they came out.

Thanks to @MaxBottomtime and @a878bob as well.

Awesome... I can't wait to see your review!

I trust my Ultima/720 combination so much that I trimmed my wrist seals back all the way (Maxbottomtime's awesome idea) They weren't doing me any good anyway... And now doffing and donning is WAY easier and simpler.

I'm diving commercially - so holed gloves and general abuse of gear is commonplace. Yeah, I've holed a glove since trimming back the wrist seals, but it didn't flood too bad. I've had way worse floods with wrist seals and wetgloves... With no hole.

I bought a couple sets of Ultima rings and just keep a spare set of gloves loaded on glove rings so I can swap out in the field should the worst happen.

But overall, the 720s are pretty tough. Tougher than the 620s and 660s... And a world apart from a latex glove... A truly necessary feature when burning and welding and scraping barnacles and oysters - and even doing salvage.

You'll be thrilled. :)

Back
Top Bottom