I'm still cold!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my, they are far superior to regular rashguards. The Bare chillguard is sort of like a tightfitting sweatshirt, smooth on the outside, kind of fleece on the inside. I'm not sure what the Sharkskin is made of but it has properties to help keep you warmer. There's another well known product but for the life of me, I can't recall its name. Somebody chime in here please.

Performance Wear Long Sleeve - Womens - Sharkskin
Lavacore

Yes thanks, Lavacore!

I'm one of those people who lose body heat very quickly and need a lot of exposure protection so I've been mocked since I started diving back in 2000 because I wear a 5mm full suit over a diveskin and a 3mm snoopy cap to dive in 80+ degree water. he most common thing is being called a wimp.

My response is to smile and say, "Thank you!". When they go "Huh?" I tell them "Yes, I'm a wimp--I'm warm, inteligent, mature and perfect!"

I found that wearing gloves that have cuffs that are long enough to cover the veins on the inside of my wrists make a difference in how long it takes befre I feel too cold. If I am diving in a "No gloves" area, I use a set of neoprene wrist bands that I made from a non-repairable wet suit. I cut 2 rectangles that are three inches wide and as long as my wrist circumference, zigzag stitched the edges and sewed and glued the ends together.

I can’t add much to the above about suit choices, I always dive a drysuit at home, however I would say that you are what you eat and eating properly in view of the weather/water temperature is important. Exactly what that means for you personally I can only guess, but for me it makes a difference if I have not had a proper breakfast or have spent the morning driving and get in without eating.

Hawaii water temperature, if I know I will be doing multiple days of diving, I will for sure bring a drysuit. Of course, if I am vacation with wife and baby, just squeeze in a dive or two, then I just suck it up.

You should invest in some hood, glove, and booties.

BARE has products with infrared technology that keeps me toasty.
I dive in 50 F water with a 7mm hood, 5mm gloves, 5mm booties, and 7mm semi-dry. Biggest issue are my feet getting cold, but I put just wear wool socks to help out!

I am a cold water diver and use a dry suit normally (because I am ALWAYS cold.) The first time I dove a wet suit in Hawaii (I think it was a 5-7ml) I also used a hood, boots, and gloves (they all made fun of me) but was still really cold and I seriously considered bringing my dry suit down for the next time. On our second trip to the islands I doubled up with two 5 ml wet suits + the regular hood, gloves, boots, and it was much, much better. This was a suggestion by the dive boat guides and it worked really well. That way I could still use their rental gear and didn't have to drag my dry suit across the country.

Cold water diver in wetsuit (7mm) as well here. As long as the water temp is 10°Celcius I only wear the wetsuit (with boots and hood of course). Once the water gets colder I add my long sleeved Thermocline shirt (Fourth Element) and dry gloves. When the water is below 7°Celcius I add up a pair of Thermocline socks in my boots.

Thanks for the lavacore recommendations. I picked up the shorts and hooded vest and will try them on my liveaboard trip in June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom