Go Sea dive shop in Placencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience with Go Sea dive shop in Placencia? I’ve been researching shops to complete the referral open water certification dives for my two daughters, and to dive with while we are there for a week in June. I’ve been able to find information on some other operations, and have found good reviews of Go Sea on Google and Trip Advisor, but nothing here. Any information on direct experience with the shop would be appreciated.

I go to Placencia every year and always dive with Splash. The name "Go Sea" didn't ring a bell, but once I googled it I think I do remember seeing it last year. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's right next to the pier and The Shak, a really great lunch spot. There were a couple of ex-Splash dive masters/instructors working there then, but I didn't recognize anyone in the picture, not that that means anything.

So, assuming it's the right place, since I haven't dived with them about all I can say is the dive shop is in a good location at the tip of the peninsula right at the end of the pier. Splash used to be located there but left once they outgrew the place. They kept it as a second office for a while but that was a few years ago.

Although I'm good friends of Ralph and Patty, the owner/operators of Splash, I'm glad to see another dive shop in the village. Competition always results in better service, not that Ralph and Patty need a lot of incentive as they're both obsessed with being the best dive shop not just in Placencia but all of Belize, lol. I never dove with Avalon Diving, a little further up the peninsula, but I was sorry to see it go a few years ago when the owner/operator decided to move on.

As far as Trip Advisor, I like to look at the reviews and have found that they are at least somewhat accurate in their oohs and boos. I'm sure there's some fraudulent activity from time to time but still it's a decent, if not foolproof, resource.

If you do dive with Go Sea, be sure to post a trip report. I would be willing to bet that at least a few of their guides came up through Splash's Kids Club, where they get trained for free on how to become a professional. Very cool.

Does anyone have experience with Go Sea dive shop in Placencia? .../QUOTE]
I booked a sailing charter with the Moorings. They recommend Go Sea Tours as a "reputable local dive operator" on their web site. I'm not sure if that means they paid for placement on the Moorings web site or if they're any good. I'm just starting to check options. If you hear anything, please post back here

We wound up using Go Sea for our daughters’ referrals as well as two days of diving for my wife and me and two days of snorkeling for our son, and they were great. The instructors/dive guides/snorkel guides were all fantastic, Justin was excellent in terms of scheduling, and rentals were all well maintained. The boat was comfortable and well maintained with life jackets and a first aid kit on board.

Lunch was excellent both days, and we were very pleased and impressed when Go Sea didn’t cancel on us the first day when all the other reserved divers cancelled. It was pretty nice having the boat for just the five of us and our 2 guides (dive and snorkel) and instructor.

Our second day was busier on the boat, but they brought two dive guides to keep the groups smaller.

All in all we had a great experience with Go Sea.
a02eUt7.jpg
rdcB3Eg.jpg

QrwdbnX.jpg

Also, the second day we picked up some divers on a Moorings boat, and the process was very smooth.

They've done a nice job of remodeling the place inside and out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom