$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Well after seeing many threads and now hearing from my local dive shop about people hookah diving with a $40 Harbor Freight compressor and a cheap PVC air hose I had to try for myself, I did as many threads say cleaned out the tank and hose using simple green and then properly sanitized, most people's concern is the possibility of contaminants and toxins in the air supply, living here in Seabrook Texas and having several neighbors that work for NASA I have found a contact that is willing to test the air from this system in route to deliver air sample now will post results once they are returned
20180622_162040.jpg

I hope that is a non-lubricated diaphragm compressor and you have a check valve near the regulator. Oh, and a good ground fault interrupter. I wouldn't trust any of them on the dock.

BTW, a solid piece of line to secure it to something since you will be yanking on the hose for "just a few more inches"... stuff happens.

Yep it's a oil-less compressor I forgot to mention I added a four-stage half micron filter inline, this is pretty exciting getting the air tested by the same people who test the air for the space station, can't wait to see what they shoot back

Yep it's a oil-less compressor I forgot to mention I added a four-stage half micron filter inline, this is pretty exciting getting the air tested by the same people who test the air for the space station, can't wait to see what they shoot back

With the other discussion about inexpensive compressors going on, it's hard to describe how refreshing it is to see someone approaching this the right way!

Excellent. Have you checked the flow rates on the filter? Good filters on a surface-supplied system are nice to have, until they do their job too well, clog up, and cut off your flow. No big deal in shallow open water but it can be problematic if you are cleaning boat bottoms and your hose gets entangled. A small bailout bottle is never a bad idea.

Very true I'm definitely keeping an eye on the final stage filter half Micron might be Overkill

Well after seeing many threads and now hearing from my local dive shop about people hookah diving with a $40 Harbor Freight compressor and a cheap PVC air hose I had to try for myself, I did as many threads say cleaned out the tank and hose using simple green and then properly sanitized, most people's concern is the possibility of contaminants and toxins in the air supply, living here in Seabrook Texas and having several neighbors that work for NASA I have found a contact that is willing to test the air from this system in route to deliver air sample now will post results once they are returnedView attachment 465184

What's the maximum PSI for that compressor? Is it close to normal IP pressure on a regulator? Are you using a standard second stage?

Screenshot_20180622-191111.png here's the specs on what I'm using $20 hookah regulator $20 PVC line $40 compressor kind of went over the $50 Mark but oh well still not bad hopefully haven't breathed on it much but I had it set at 40 PSI and it was breathing pretty darn good also seem to be keeping up with me just fine using a 400w inverter I found it to be running great at 13.8 volts not so much in the lower 12volt range
Screenshot_20180622-191111.png
Screenshot_20180622-191111.png 20180622_191210.jpg 20180622_191147.jpg

In the geneses of diving if an item was not available we invented it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ of ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If the item cost over a dollar we modified an objects or made a new one

I commend you on your injunity in developing a Harbor Freight Hookah unit

I recall as if it was yesterday, but it was in 1940s, that I set transfixed in a movie theater watching Hans Hass B & W movie "Under the Red Sea." The ability to submerge and remain underwater was so appealing -- so with the assistance of a cousin 70 years ago we made a rebreather from WW11 surplus items.

We dove it several times until the baralyme became damp so it rapidly retired for about 30 years then I tossed it.

So many items were made in that era …..

Now if a piece of equipment cant be purchased it dies it exist or is not required- until some one markets it
Ben I commend you on your injunity --have fun but be careful

SDM

Thanks, just figured I'd try to get some facts on this project, I've seen a lot of arguments in fighting about it like a lot of DIY stuff. I totally understand where there's instances where you should definitely spend the extra Buck but I also see where DIY could really attract more into the scene, I still get a lot of evil looks because I still love to use a back bubbler and no BC LOL. I should have the air test results on Tuesday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom