Should I have a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously? You don't see how your original post was very unclear on what you meant by "your buddy has your backup"?

I did not see it as unclear and answered others, in my post #32, who I had thought had misread @seeker242 initial post and I gave a reason to use your buddys computer to ascend rather tha guess on your ascent rate and safety stop. The answer I received is below.

True but irrelevant to this conversation. It's still unsafe to use your buddy's computer.

It seems as if it is irrelevant to show a different point of view. From my experience unsafe is dependant on your situation.

Bob

I give up. I agree with @Steelyeyes "On to the feats of strength." We've had enough chest bumping.

Cheers -

Based on the post they replied to, their responses were valid. You suggested that you don't need to worry if your dive computer fails as you can just follow your buddy's computer. However, unless your buddy and you have been diving the the EXACT same profiles during your dive (and any dives over prior days in multiday diving), it is potentially dangerous to follow your buddy's computer, even on the dive you are on - you need to surface! In that context, your advice was really bad, especially for a new diver.

Here's some articles you might want to read:
Alert Diver | Your Computer Fails: Now What?

My Dive Computer Quit. What Do I Do? - SDI | TDI | ERDI

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjALegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw3SgfXD9rQvrEWHDRdUAmvO
Actually, if you read the SDI article, it said to use your buddies dive computer to make a safe ascent. The Alert Diver article talked about options other than diving with a back up computer, which basically implies the back up is not essential.

The example dive given by SDI used the example of having last been at 90’ with 8 minutes left to the NDL. you thumb the dive, ride your buddy’s computer to the surface. They even point out that it is not an emergency (SHOCKING!). In this particular situation, sitting out the rest of the day is the wise option. You have a significant nitrogen load and there is always tomorrow.

But, none of the articles said a secondary computer was essential. They did however point out that they should be of similar algorithms. Not, as had been suggested random used computers from the internet.

I will point out that a dive run on tables does not need the exact numbers for every step of the dive. You just need the max depth and bottom tiime, surface interval and the same data for all previous dives. It is crude, but done properly, it works.

One of the first pieces of equipment I recommend a new diver is a computer, because they can take time to understand and learn to operate.

Actually, if you read the SDI article, it said to use your buddies dive computer to make a safe ascent. The Alert Diver article talked about options other than diving with a back up computer, which basically implies the back up is not essential.

The example dive given by SDI used the example of having last been at 90’ with 8 minutes left to the NDL. you thumb the dive, ride your buddy’s computer to the surface. They even point out that it is not an emergency (SHOCKING!). In this particular situation, sitting out the rest of the day is the wise option. You have a significant nitrogen load and there is always tomorrow.

But, none of the articles said a secondary computer was essential. They did however point out that they should be of similar algorithms. Not, as had been suggested random used computers from the internet.

I will point out that a dive run on tables does not need the exact numbers for every step of the dive. You just need the max depth and bottom tiime, surface interval and the same data for all previous dives. It is crude, but done properly, it works.

One of the first pieces of equipment I recommend a new diver is a computer, because they can take time to understand and learn to operate.

The point I was making is that if one invests in a backup computer, one will have no need to ride a buddy's computer to the surface. One will have no need to thumb the dive. One will have no need to sit out the rest of the day's dives. One will have no need to try to figure out tables or a loaner computer that does not have one's prior dives/tissue loading on it to keep diving on subsequent days.

Are those significant benefits too much for you to accept as real?

BTW the SDI article I linked and you pulled a selective quote from also said: "Expand your tool box and resources by carrying a backup timer and depth gauge or secondary dive computer".

The Alert Diver article said: "The best solution is to wear two computers."

Finally, I NEVER said a back up computer was essential, nor did anyone else. What we said was that it was beneficial and a good idea to avoid issues if you ever have a computer failure - not sure why you can't seem to grasp what has been clearly said multiple times in this thread, but I give up - hopefully the OP got some food for thought from all of this silliness though!

Last edited:
I don't use a back up computer. And I'm a shearwater dealer. I've never had a issue with my perdix and I just find carrying two goes against my philosophy to 'take only what you need'. It's an individual choice.

You need to weigh up the risk of losing dives against the cost of buying a second computer. It's as simple as that.

Go bac k and take another look and perhaps you'll see where you screwed up.

Welcome back to planet earth.That's exactly my point. If you go back and take another look, you'll see where you screwed up.

The OP on this thread asked if he should spend money on a back up computer right away. This whole thread has grown out of my saying don’t bother right away. I see a lot of divers encouraging new divers to buy expensive gear early on. It bothers me because some new divers end up getting put off because diving can quickly become a money pit before you get in very deep. I would rather see the OP spend his money on diving than non essential dive gear. When he is ready to upgrade to a new computer or go on those bucket list dives, he can otherwise spend the the money boat charters, tank fills or dive accessories that he will get immediate value from.

A newly minted diver probably won’t need that second computer for awhile. Just like he won’t need a save a dive kit to include replacement HP hoses. They are great to have but it starts to get pricey to have things laying around where you may not find a need for several years.

After you’ve been diving awhile you find the things that you need to take in the water and the things you don’t need in the water.. If you just started diving and bought a new computer, It is unlikely that you will find a back up computer will add to your diving experience. It will add to the cost of diving. If you are switching around gases like nitrox, you will have something else to adjust. And you will have another piece of gear dangling off your bod while you are learning to deal with all the other crap you need to drag in and out of the water.

I think new divers need to enjoy the diving first, learn to handle the least amount of kit necessary for a given dive. When they are ready or have the need, they will know when to buy a better computer (and keep their old one as backup) or decide they want a twin of the one they are familiar with.

Dive and let dive.

2 sets of Shearwater tables or YOUR GONNA DIE!!!!
- Computers fail left and right, tables were good enough for Aquaman.
- Two is one, one is none.
- There is no computer but Shearwater.
Therefore: 2 sets of Shearwater tables.

The OP on this thread asked if he should spend money on a back up computer right away. This whole thread has grown out of my saying don’t bother right away. I see a lot of divers encouraging new divers to buy expensive gear early on. It bothers me because some new divers end up getting put off because diving can quickly become a money pit before you get in very deep. I would rather see the OP spend his money on diving than non essential dive gear. When he is ready to upgrade to a new computer or go on those bucket list dives, he can otherwise spend the the money boat charters, tank fills or dive accessories that he will get immediate value from.

A newly minted diver probably won’t need that second computer for awhile. Just like he won’t need a save a dive kit to include replacement HP hoses. They are great to have but it starts to get pricey to have things laying around where you may not find a need for several years.

After you’ve been diving awhile you find the things that you need to take in the water and the things you don’t need in the water.. If you just started diving and bought a new computer, It is unlikely that you will find a back up computer will add to your diving experience. It will add to the cost of diving. If you are switching around gases like nitrox, you will have something else to adjust. And you will have another piece of gear dangling off your bod while you are learning to deal with all the other crap you need to drag in and out of the water.

I think new divers need to enjoy the diving first, learn to handle the least amount of kit necessary for a given dive. When they are ready or have the need, they will know when to buy a better computer (and keep their old one as backup) or decide they want a twin of the one they are familiar with.

Dive and let dive.

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom