DSMB & spool purchase - my considerations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Primary dsmb is semi sealed so can be filled with octo also has lp inflate that you can breath into and has over pressure valve. This is perm attached to a 75m ratchet reel and clipped to my ass D ring.
I have a co2 inflate dsmb (has oral inflate also) in my left pocket with a spare 50m reel.

We had to deploy dsmb in my open water and have deployed on most dives. Would not get in the water without one.

What do you think of those 2 ?
DSMB - Seeker - See Me
- Radar I have no idea how it work exactly is it just a piece of metal ?
- Luminous with a Glow Stick

That one is kinda interesting
DSMB

SOLAS DSMB Stickers : DiveSigns.com: Reflective hard wearing vinyl stickers for all your diving needs..., Be Seen When It Counts
I’d buy the seeker if it didn’t have the crack bottle fitting. Not tempted by the See Me. My led torches burn hot when out of water and I can get the same effect by shoving my torch up the bottom of a semi sealed smb.

The Mares is closed bottom, which to me is designed more for dry suit divers. So not interesting to me as a wet suit diver as I would not want to either disconnect my bcd inflator hose, or have to attach an auxiliary low pressure inflator hose to my reg first stage just for dsmb inflation.

What is exactly the use of a radar ? I mean is it something electronic or just a piece of metal ? Do he need to send some signals Hertz ?

Radar reflecting material to aid search and rescue in case you are lost. The DAN smb is also supposed to have some radar reflecting properties.

Primary dsmb is semi sealed so can be filled with octo also has lp inflate that you can breath into and has over pressure valve. This is perm attached to a 75m ratchet reel and clipped to my ass D ring.
I have a co2 inflate dsmb (has oral inflate also) in my left pocket with a spare 50m reel.

We had to deploy dsmb in my open water and have deployed on most dives. Would not get in the water without one.

A CO2 inflate DSMB? Where did you get that? What happens if it accidentally goes off in your pocket?

While the whole idea of needing an "auto-smb" is already silly imo, why would you use something as stupid as CO2 and waste refills when you can just put an air tank? The lengths people will go to to produce more waste is amazing.
AP Self-sealing SMB with Inflation Cylinder | AP Diving

While the whole idea of needing an "auto-smb" is already silly imo, why would you use something as stupid as CO2 and waste refills when you can just put an air tank?

From your point of view what kind of features a diver who want a nice DSMB and maybe waste more money into it ?
There are also some DSMB with radar adhesive or even support a mirror / cyalume on it or even a small support where you can put your mirror, a whistle on it, or another place where you can insert a wetnote

Last edited:
While the whole idea of needing an "auto-smb" is already silly imo, why would you use something as stupid as CO2 and waste refills when you can just put an air tank? The lengths people will go to to produce more waste is amazing.
AP Self-sealing SMB with Inflation Cylinder | AP Diving
Because the air cylinders are bigger and need to be filled every time. The co2 are a recylable product and i can get them anywhere around the world where the crack bottle has to be dissasembled and reasembled every time you fly. It it alot harder to fit in a pocket is heavier.

Back
Top Bottom