Tell me about reef hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I’m in the market for a good reef hook, for diving in Raja Ampat. I did a quick internet search and saw several, from Trident to Scubapro, but they all seem kind of flimsy with a thin or small hook and thin line. Are there any that you would recommend or should I DIY? If DIY, where might I get the parts, and what are they called? I’m 0% handy! Can’t remember the last time I was in Home Depot. Thanks.

This one looks good to me: ScubaPro Reefhook With SS Bolt Snap

image.jpeg

You may want to add a double ender. See my post #70 on page 7 of How I almost drowned -- twice

Last edited:
@Dan_T , what is the purpose of the double ender?

@Dan_T , what is the purpose of the double ender?

It is for latching the hook end onto your chest D-ring after you finish using it, so you can have your hand free for other thing than holding on the reef hook while you are drifting and keep the reef hook & the 6' rope from entanglement when you are cruising over the reef.

It is for latching the hook end onto your chest D-ring after you finish using it, so you can have your hand free for other thing than holding on the reef hook while you are drifting and keep the reef hook & the 6' rope from entanglement when you are cruising over the reef.

I see thank you!

Don't get one that is too short. I made that mistake before I left for Palau. The 6' line kept me much too close to the reef itself and I had to be careful not to mistakenly kick it. Those with longer lines floated well above the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom