Closed: Old HID Can light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy an old non-working (or working, if it's priced ultra cheap) HID or other dive light. I'm looking for large canister battery pack and a light head. My only real requirement is that it be something that's likely to still be water tight or at least something that would be water tight with fresh o-rings. The electrical stuff will be gutted as I intend to use it for a project, so that part need not function. The larger the battery canister, the better.

I'm looking to spend $50 or less and I'll pay for shipping if necessary. I would prefer in person pick-up if it's within a couple hours of Tampa, FL, USA.

Anyone got an old junk light that I could use for a project? Let me know and give that old light a new lease on life!

A few weeks ago I sent an old HID with a flooded battery compartment in to Light Monkey to see if they could repair it, and they could not do so. This morning I told them to scrap it. I suppose I could have told them you would pick it up (for me).

Too bad I don't know anyone at light monkey. I bet they dispose of piles of lights that would be perfect for my uses.

Too bad I don't know anyone at light monkey. I bet they dispose of piles of lights that would be perfect for my uses.

Why not call them and ask? The person I told can dispose of my now useless light is:

Amanda Hammond
Shipping Manager
Light Monkey Enterprises LLC
248 SW Webbs Glen
Lake City, FL 32024
386-202-4690 ext. 702 - phone
386-202-4693 - fax

Mandy is super nice! She also riders a Harley so extra bonus. It's worth it to give them a call and see if they can work something out for you. It may not be possible. I can see a manufacturer not wanting to send out another customers defective device even if they've agreed to its disposal, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm looking to buy an old non-working (or working, if it's priced ultra cheap) HID or other dive light. I'm looking for large canister battery pack and a light head. My only real requirement is that it be something that's likely to still be water tight or at least something that would be water tight with fresh o-rings. The electrical stuff will be gutted as I intend to use it for a project, so that part need not function. The larger the battery canister, the better.

I'm looking to spend $50 or less and I'll pay for shipping if necessary. I would prefer in person pick-up if it's within a couple hours of Tampa, FL, USA.

Anyone got an old junk light that I could use for a project? Let me know and give that old light a new lease on life!
Hey dude, you still looking for a canister?

I'm in Clearwater/Dunedin if you are still looking for one.

Last edited:
Sorry, guys. I went on vacation and forgot to post an update. I got a non-functional OMS HID canister and head from someone for $50. It's perfect. I've got an 8500 lumen LED chip, driver, lens to go into it. I'll have to fashion an appropriate reflector still. The OMS can had these huge NiCd batteries that will afford me oodles of room for a custom Li-Ion pack.

Actually, I'm already tempted to ditch that 8500 lumen chip for the Cree CMT2890 that puts out just over 20,000lm. Spec sheet on that chip says it only draws 1.6a at 51v. With the huge OMS canister, I think I could reasonably provide that much juice.. although I haven't done the math on that just yet.

I guess I'll start a project thread in the DIY forum.. The big problem with CMT2890 is going to be the size and cost of the driver. The chip is only $33 but the driver is $77. The driver is also 1.85x6.29x2.48 (inches). It might vaporize the water in front of that chip. :rofl3:

Do any of you guys ever make it over to the Tampa Hackerspace?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom