DM5 registering the 2nd dive of the day much deeper than it was

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GloryDayz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My son and I have two Cobras that by all appearances are working perfectly, but after a week in Coz we noticed that second dives in water that was only 70 feet deep, those 2nd dives registered at ~180 feet. Yet when I download the same dives, from both computers, into the Subsurface application the depths show exactly what they should have.

Am I the only one who's seen this problem when using DM5?

I just came here looking for answers to this exact same problem. Last week, I was diving with a Vyper Air on my right hand and a Zoop as a backup on my left. All my dives look perfectly normal in the DC, but when I uploaded them to the desktop using DM5 I saw this problem with my Zoop. I did three dives on Wednesday that all uploaded just fine, but my second dives on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday all uploaded with depths between 160 and 183 feet. Considering I was on EAN36 for these dives, I would have been dead on my first breath. The Vyper's dives all uploaded just fine.

I tried deleting the messed up ones from DM5, but it won't resynch them.

I just came here looking for answers to this exact same problem. Last week, I was diving with a Vyper Air on my right hand and a Zoop as a backup on my left. All my dives look perfectly normal in the DC, but when I uploaded them to the desktop using DM5 I saw this problem with my Zoop. I did three dives on Wednesday that all uploaded just fine, but my second dives on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday all uploaded with depths between 160 and 183 feet. Considering I was on EAN36 for these dives, I would have been dead on my first breath. The Vyper's dives all uploaded just fine.

I tried deleting the messed up ones from DM5, but it won't resynch them.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too, I'll bet we'll be told to delete the entire application and try again. If that's the case, perhaps I'll just stick with the Subsurface App. Heck, it's cloud-based, and lets me upload directly to the phone (Android) on the boat if I'm so inclined!

But this is definitely something Suunto needs to look into, but in my case, because I bought them used, they don't appear to be overly interested in talking to me.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too, I'll bet we'll be told to delete the entire application and try again. If that's the case, perhaps I'll just stick with the Subsurface App. Heck, it's cloud-based, and lets me upload directly to the phone (Android) on the boat if I'm so inclined!

But this is definitely something Suunto needs to look into, but in my case, because I bought them used, they don't appear to be overly interested in talking to me.
I haven't tried contacting Suunto about it yet. I tried subsurface, but it can't open the USB serial port when I connect my DCs to my Chromebook running the Android app, so it didn't work like I was hoping. I pretty much only use DM5 because it uploads to Movescount from my desktop, so I could get the same functionality by installing the Windows version of Subsurface on my desktop. It's supposed to be better, anyway. DMx has always been a little delicate as long as I have had my computers (almost 5 years).

I just think it is weird that my Vyper had no problems and my Zoop screwed up only on the second dive of 3/4 of my dive days.

Just forget contacting Suunto and forget DM5. It's not worth the hassle and aggravation. As you mentioned, GloryDayz, Subsurface works properly and is far superior. It's what I use. There is a DM5 here thread in the manufacturers section that was started by a Suunto tech. And after after looking, you even posted in it. When everyone started piling on about how bad DM5 was behaving, he abandoned the thread. That was over a year ago. I had a problem with my one year old Vyper Air that I'm not convinced wasn't caused by DM5. It was eventually replaced under warranty with a new Vyper Novo and I have only downloaded to Subsurface from it since I received it.

Just forget contacting Suunto and forget DM5. It's not worth the hassle and aggravation. As you mentioned, GloryDayz, Subsurface works properly and is far superior. It's what I use. There is a DM5 here thread in the manufacturers section that was started by a Suunto tech. And after after looking, you even posted in it. When everyone started piling on about how bad DM5 was behaving, he abandoned the thread. That was over a year ago. I had a problem with my one year old Vyper Air that I'm not convinced wasn't caused by DM5. It was eventually replaced under warranty with a new Vyper Novo and I have only downloaded to Subsurface from it since I received it.

Sounds like great advice that I'm more than willing to take. I just never knew a company that's supposedly so wrapped up in safety would disregard their customer's concerns. Perhaps their concerns for safety end with their very conservative dive profile algorithms. Thanks Gregg.

Why do people still try to use Sunnto software. It is some of the worst software written. The other side of this is why does Sunnto keep putting out such awful software. If their computers were as bad as their software they would be out of business because of the lawsuits.

Why do people still try to use Sunnto software. It is some of the worst software written. The other side of this is why does Sunnto keep putting out such awful software. If their computers were as bad as their software they would be out of business because of the lawsuits.

I guess it is a bit of this, isn't it?

QrTaCq.gif

Same problem, same solution. I use subsurface no problem, now we're all on the same software. Oceanic and Suunto

Same problem, same solution. I use subsurface no problem, now we're all on the same software. Oceanic and Suunto

Are you saying you use Oceanic software with your Suunto computer, or that the Oceanic code is just as bad for Oceanic computers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom