Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Light Monkey 32W Variable Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if I understand correctly, what you're saying is the Focus will give you EITHER a "pencil beam" OR a wide beam, depending on how you adjust the focusing knob, but it is incapable of mimicking the traditional HID pattern of a center spot with a halo around that. Yes?

Correct, it's not a very bright light, except when in pencil beam

for that take THOR ;-))

I have yet to see pics or video of Thor/LM32vf/Focus 2.0. Would like to see some comparison between these lights.

Never heard of the Thor before. Just boned up. Their info says it uses a 2200 lumen LED.

Thor Engineering - Die Primärlampe

So, is it really possible that their light is brighter than a LM32VF that uses a 4000 lumen LED?

I have no need for a can light in the near future. But, I can't help wanting one. A 4000 lumen light with variable focus really seems like ideal characteristics. The LM is the only one I know of that has both of those features. But, the price tag is definitely helping me resist buying one. That's a down payment on a CCR!

So, is it really possible that their light is brighter than a LM32VF that uses a 4000 lumen LED?

Hard to figure out. It seems that dive light manufacturers have much variability in how they report lumens.
Variable focus light have more complex reflectors, so it is possible that that htere are larger differences and someone being able to put out a brighter light beam with less emitter lumens.

I emailed a buddy of mine in the UK about the Thor light. His response: "Thor has a hammer, not a f***ing light head!"

LOL

Thor states it uses a 2200 lumen emitter. Narrowing to a 5.5d beam, which is probably about as tight as the focus. But when not narrowed, its what 1/2 the emitter output of the LM (cree) emitter? Which is how the focus works as well. A lower powered light with a super tight beam to make up for it.

for lumens you need

1) led that is capable lumens light current
2) driver that give led die right electric current (that mean right current , right voltage and right current shape )
3) you need right cooling

for brightness you need: all above +

4) right optical concentrator which could be

a ) reflective type .... right reflector for specific led
b) translucent type ...right lens for specific led like fresnel lens , katadioptic lense

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if someone open light head in way that measure and put current via current clamps then observe oscilloscope curve
THEN WE MIGHT TALK ABOUT LUMENS - compared to the manufacturer's data ( still we don't know optimum efficiency without base temperature - mean cooling which is at semiconductors very important just look at computers !)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H focus have Cree XML-2
LM have Luminus SST-90
Thor have Luminus SST90

SST-90 is +30 W led (it runs with 9A , but it can take 12A for sure ; record is I think 15A) very very robust led
have made my projects with that led with reflector and lenses. Led have glass dome !!!
Build is much more expensive (glass dome , gold bonding on each row,.....) Led die is 3mm x 3mm = 9mm2

Cree XML-2 is 10W led , silicone dome . Led die is 2mm x 2mm = 4 mm2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have wrote these basic parameters because producers balances them in way to get ( longer burning time , smaller canisters , brightness,...)
best handling and then depends success of a light.

32w Variable LED

c67da5_1ec802c1b3124a8dbf08f4eeada825ff~mv2_d_3240_2592_s_4_2.webp

You've asked, and we've listened. Introducing the Light Monkey 32 watt Variable LED with five Piezo-controlled levels of output. Utilizing the same Cree emitter and custom reflector as the standard 32w v2.0, at full power, this little head boasts 4000 lumen at 6500 kelvin color temperature. Diving smaller cave or trying to conserve battery? Just dial it down.

============

Not an SST90

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom