What is your favorite snorkeling destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a lifelong snorkeller, thank you for bringing this blog to my attention. I was glad that La Jolla Cove near San Diego, CA was listed as a great snorkelling destination because I travelled there during the 1990s and enjoyed the experience immensely as I'm not used to seeing so much sealife.

At the same time, living as I do in the North East of England eight miles away from the North Sea, I also like snorkelling without the constant necessity, and unavoidable inconvenience, of air travel first. Snorkelling in colder climes can also be a worthwhile pursuit while keeping warm in a wet or dry suit.

The popular destinations listed in the blog all seem to be coastal resorts. In the 1970s, I once enjoyed snorkelling in a lake in East Berlin at a time when Germany was divided. During annual visits to a relative in Minneapolis, I took the opportunity to snorkel in the city's many lakes. Lake and river snorkelling can be fun.

When I do go on vacation somewhere hot, I choose to combine my snorkelling with sightseeing and cultural experience. Greece fitted the bill perfectly when I spent two happy weeks there a decade or so ago, combining beach snorkelling with an exploration of Athens and its historic environs. I'm surprised Greece isn't on the list of popular snorkelling destinations. There's something to be said for snorkelling destinations that aren't just snorkelling destinations.

How do you select your best snorkeling destinations? Which element do you value most?t

I select the destination with the shortest/fastest route I can snorkle back to my scuba stuff.

I most value my scuba stuff.

It depends on what you are looking for. Crystal River Florida for the manatees, Tonga or the Silver Banks for the Humpbacks, or Holbox for the whale sharks are way up there on my list. They are all fantastic and you really can't do them on scuba.

Hi,
For european like me, it was the Mediterranean sea ( Costa Brava, Baléares, etc) , but after having discovered the red Sea this was my favorite destination ( areas from Sharm El Sheikh & Marsa Alam), but after I switched toward the Maldives… and recently toward Indonesia ( Sulawesi & Raja Ampat).

This last destination offers the more varieties of fishes and coral… see => Video in free diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom